Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logon sceen with all users accounts displayed

Hi

I'm looking for a manual procedure for each edition of Windows 8 to always display all users accounts on the logon screen when I turn on or I restart the computer. Also, this procedure should not interfere in any way on the functionalities of Windows 8.

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

Re: Logon sceen with all users accounts displayed

Can I suggest you use , a very helpful, but obviously unknown, web site where you ask similar questions -- technically called SEARCHING the web.

It took about 30 seconds to get a list of possible answers:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wi...ItG3hAfezYDQCw

The second link (http://www.eightforums.com/user-acco...in-screen.html) gives several ways to do it -- one asking the users to make one mouse click, which shouldn't be beyond most. Another uses a registry tweak which does not survive a reboot but should not be beyond a System Administrators skills to put it into a startup script.

The third link gives the identical question YOU asked on the MS boards -- have you done anything further based on that discussion.

Once again, could you perhaps explain WHY you want this, so you can get more help. Clearly the answers you were given on the MS boards did not suit you.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Can I suggest you use , a very helpful, but obviously unknown, web site where you ask similar questions -- technically called SEARCHING the web.

It took about 30 seconds to get a list of possible answers:
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wi...ItG3hAfezYDQCw

The second link (http://www.eightforums.com/user-acco...in-screen.html) gives several ways to do it -- one asking the users to make one mouse click, which shouldn't be beyond most. Another uses a registry tweak which does not survive a reboot but should not be beyond a System Administrators skills to put it into a startup script.

The third link gives the identical question YOU asked on the MS boards -- have you done anything further based on that discussion.

Once again, could you perhaps explain WHY you want this, so you can get more help. Clearly the answers you were given on the MS boards did not suit you.
      Hitherto, I have always found procedures with some side effects.

Instead, I wanted to try a procedure without these side effects.

Thanks

Bye
      Last edited by balubeto; 18th May 2013, 09:14.
      balubeto

Comment

I'm not clear what "side effects" you are referring to, nor to "what procedures" you have already found. Clearly my psychic powers are having a weekend off, or maybe you just can't be bothered to tell us

Perhaps you could give us proper information so we have a faint chance of helping you to your satisfaction (although based on your posting history, there is f-all chance of that )
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm not clear what "side effects" you are referring to, nor to "what procedures" you have already found. Clearly my psychic powers are having a weekend off, or maybe you just can't be bothered to tell us

Perhaps you could give us proper information so we have a faint chance of helping you to your satisfaction (although based on your posting history, there is f-all chance of that )
          The side effects are those described in the note of the OPTION THREE of the article http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html or those described in the CAUTIONS section of the article http://dottech.org/92136/windows-8-h...-login-screen/. Now, you've understood what are the side effects that I would like to avoid?

Thanks

Bye
          balubeto

Comment

And the other option (pressing the back arrow at the login screen)?
            That appears to have no "side effects" and should not be beyond the ability of most users after proper training

tbh, I am not sure why you are
            a) wanting a list of all users to appear for everyone and
            b) too fussed if it goes away after changing the colour scheme

(b) can be sorted with a reg file, presumably, or by blocking the ability to change colour schemes -- as I said earlier, it could be imposed by a startup script which would deal with the problem completely.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

And the other option (pressing the back arrow at the login screen)?
              That appears to have no "side effects" and should not be beyond the ability of most users after proper training

tbh, I am not sure why you are
              a) wanting a list of all users to appear for everyone and
              b) too fussed if it goes away after changing the colour scheme

(b) can be sorted with a reg file, presumably, or by blocking the ability to change colour schemes -- as I said earlier, it could be imposed by a startup script which would deal with the problem completely.
              I'm sorry but, now, what procedure you're talking about?

Thanks

Bye
              balubeto

Comment

The procedures discussed in the links both you and I have posted.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I found the "How to prevent Windows 8 from automatically logging in the last user" section in this article http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disab...r-in-window-8/ that, apparently, describes a manual procedure which does not cause any side effects. Right?

Thanks

Bye
                  Last edited by balubeto; 19th May 2013, 09:49.
                  balubeto

Comment

As usual, you introduce a totally new issue
                    Where did "prevent Windows 8 from automatically logging in the last user" come from -- the problem you initially described was to display a list of all user accounts.

As far as side effects go, the only thing you can do is to TEST the procedure in a live environment. If your users start turning into mutant zombies, or your PCs explode at irregular intervals, side effects will be manifesting themselves. If these things do not happen, and business applications work correctly, the procedure will probably be free of side effects.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

windows+r keys then key in netplwiz and choose 'users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'

With the windows 8 apps issue, by default anyone who has a windows live id and logs into the app store can download/install/update apps, I copied pasted the below explination from the below site:

The Windows 8 App store provides access to tens of thousands of paid and free apps. However, administrators may be concerned because standard employees who are not local administrators can use the Windows 8 app store to install new applications. This is a change from previous versions of Windows when a user would normally need to be a member of the local administrators group in order to install software on a workstation.

An app that a user installs from the Windows 8 App store might conflict and cause problems with an essential line of business application already on the workstation, thereby affecting productivity.

http://www.newsignature.com/blog/201...s-8-app-store/
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by uk_network; 19th May 2013, 16:23.
                      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Just to bring this back to life -- I received this link in an email which may be helpful:
                        http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/s...e064&ttag=e064
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Working...
                        X