Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminate roaming profiles of Microsoft account

Hi

Windows 8 creates a roaming profile in the C:\Users directory using xxxxxx_000 subdirectories for each Microsoft account which is created.

What are these roaming profiles and when they are used?

It is possible to rename these subdirectories manually?

It is possible to choose the names of these subdirectories when Windows 8 creates them?

Is there a way to make sure that these profiles are completely deleted when the user logs off from his Microsoft account?

Thanks

Bye
    Last edited by balubeto; 11th May 2013, 10:36.
    balubeto

Re: Eliminate roaming profiles of Microsoft account

Log off scripts?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Rename the roaming profiles

Hi

Windows 8 creates a roaming profile in the C:\Users directory using the xxxxxx_000 subdirectories for each Microsoft account which is created.

What are these roaming profiles and when they are used?

It is possible to rename these subdirectories manually?

It is possible to choose the names of these subdirectories when Windows 8 creates them?

Thanks

Bye
      Merged with previous near identical thread
      Last edited by Ossian; 11th May 2013, 10:59. Reason: Added quoted post
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Log off scripts?
        By chance, there is a registry key that can do this?

Thanks

Bye
        balubeto

Comment

After rigorous research*, there appears to be one for Windows 7, which also applies to Windows 8

*The research consisted of spending 15 seconds on (other search engines exist) and putting in an appropriate text string based largely on the post title and question asked immediately above.

And no, I am not going to tell you what key it is -- you can for it yourself

(For other posters feeling sorry for the OP, I suggest you review his post history first)
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

You could modify something like this to run in a logoff script as Ossian says, or maybe a scheduled task.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...0-7ec833b90bb8
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
              You could modify something like this to run in a logoff script as Ossian says, or maybe a scheduled task.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...0-7ec833b90bb8
              The script quoted in the article mentioned above is used to delete the accounts no longer used by a defined period of time.

Instead I'm interested to know if it is possible to delete a Microsoft account of Windows 8 (with its roaming profile) when the user logs off.

Also, I would like to know how to rename a roaming profile created by a Microsoft account.

Thanks

Bye
              balubeto

Comment

Originally posted by balubeto View Post
                The script quoted in the article mentioned above is used to delete the accounts no longer used by a defined period of time.
                Instead I'm interested to know if it is possible to delete a Microsoft account of Windows 8 (with its roaming profile) when the user logs off.
                Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                You could modify something like this
                Surely you don't expect the world to stop everything to give you exactly what you want?

A network administrator, which you claim to be, should be able to create scripts and adapt other peoples scripts.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I think I found on how to do to eliminate the roaming profiles of a Microsoft account when the user logs off:

Code:
                  Policy setting name:
                  Delete cached copies of roaming profiles
                  Policy path:
                  System\User Profiles
                  Registry information:
                  HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!DeleteRoamingCache
                  Help text:
                  This policy setting determines whether Windows keeps a copy of a user's roaming profile on the local computer's hard drive when the user logs off. Roaming profiles reside on a network server. By default, when users with roaming profiles log off, the system also saves a copy of their roaming profile on the hard drive of the computer they are using in case the server that stores the roaming profile is unavailable when the user logs on again. The local copy is also used when the remote copy of the roaming user profile is slow to load.If you enable this policy setting, any local copies of the user's roaming profile are deleted when the user logs off. The roaming profile still remains on the network server that stores it.If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows keeps a copy of a user's roaming profile on the local computer's hard drive when the user logs off.Important: Do not enable this policy setting if you are using the slow link detection feature. To respond to a slow link, the system requires a local copy of the user's roaming profile.
                  Right?

Now, someone could help me on how to rename a roaming profile?

Thanks

Bye
                  balubeto

Comment

Profile names are normally tied to the user account name, and as the profile folders are created by the system, I doubt if the names can be changed for new profiles. There are profile registry settings (use to find what they are) and it is possible to move the location of a profile so it should be possible to rename it too. This is done by finding the account SID and the correct registry key to match it.

Note this is true for non-roaming profiles, but I have not attempted to try it with roaming ones.

Why on earth do you want to re-name them anyway -- does anyone really care what the profile folder is called?

EDIT
                    Thinking about the whole thread, why are you actually wanting to delete the roaming profile folders on logoff -- if the profile contains a large amount of data, it will need to be re-downloaded each time the user logs on, generating large amounts of network traffic and increasing logon times. If there is a local copy, only changes will be downloaded from the server and the local copy will be used for unchanged content. This reduces logon times and network traffic.
                    Last edited by Ossian; 12th May 2013, 13:56.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Fifteen days ago, I wrote:

Code:
                      Using Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit, I have noticed that the full name of a local account (set with the net users "<username>" /fullname:"<full name>" command) is deleted whenever I switch from a Microsoft account to the local account associated with it. So, how do I have to prevent this?
                      Now, if I can change the name of the profile directory of the user local, Windows 8 should not change his full name everytime I switch from a Microsoft account to a local account and vice versa.

Another solution to this problem would be that of find a way to permanently save the full name of the local user so that, using the same account, Windows 8 will not ever change this name.

Also, I do not want to have to create two separate accounts for each user as this solution would waste space and would also be a solution no professional.

In other words, I would that, by creating a local account and setting the local full name for this user, this name is not deleted when, switching to a Microsoft account, I'll decide to switch back to the local one.

Thanks

Bye
                      balubeto

Comment

Hi, I can't say I'm 100% clear on your issue. The policy that you mentioned is located at

Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / System / User Profiles / Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

Hope this helps.
                        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Suggest a bit of research into Account SIDs -- the name is not really important but two different accounts will have two different SIDs.

As I understand it, you are trying to avoid profile duplication with two accounts, one local and one tied to a live ID -- consider putting content into the public shares or implementing some form of profile folder redirection to a common location
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            Suggest a bit of research into Account SIDs -- the name is not really important but two different accounts will have two different SIDs.

As I understand it, you are trying to avoid profile duplication with two accounts, one local and one tied to a live ID -- consider putting content into the public shares or implementing some form of profile folder redirection to a common location
                            Right. My purpose is to find a way to prevent that Windows 8 delete the full name of the user of a local account when he switches an account from a Microsoft account to a local account.

About to the elimination of the Microsoft accounts when the users log off, I can not find a way to avoid automatic deletion of some Microsoft accounts. In other words, I have some Microsoft accounts, which must not be absolutely eliminated because they come from the switching of local accounts.

So, how should I do to solve these problems?

Thanks

Bye
                            Last edited by balubeto; 13th May 2013, 17:33.
                            balubeto

Comment

When you say "delete the full name of the user of a local account" do you mean "delete the profile folder" or are you talking about something totally different?

Initially you were talking about deleting profile folders, now you are talking about preventing deletion so I am confused about exactly what you are trying to do.

Can you also advise a bit more about your environment -- is it a domain or was that purely for your windows 7 deployment saga?
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X