"Upgrading" Server 2008R2 to Windows 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Upgrading" Server 2008R2 to Windows 8

A slightly unusual query, and one I have d for without success.

I have a fleet of laptops used for delivering MCT courses, with Server 2008R2 installed on them (most courses run under HyperV now)

I would quite like to upgrade them to Windows 8 Pro (mainly to take advantage of hibernation, which is not compatible with 2008R2 HyperV).

Clearly I could nuke them (and will if there aren't any better solutions) but I would prefer to preserve the existing set of VMs, as well as avoiding hunting for drivers etc. Is there any way of fooling the Win 8 installer into thinking the OS is Win7 rather than Server 2008R2 as (fairly obviously) it won't let me do an upgrade install from Server to Desktop.

All thoughts gratefully appreciated
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: "Upgrading" Server 2008R2 to Windows 8

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
    A slightly unusual query, and one I have d for without success.

I have a fleet of laptops used for delivering MCT courses, with Server 2008R2 installed on them (most courses run under HyperV now)

I would quite like to upgrade them to Windows 8 Pro (mainly to take advantage of hibernation, which is not compatible with 2008R2 HyperV).

Clearly I could nuke them (and will if there aren't any better solutions) but I would prefer to preserve the existing set of VMs, as well as avoiding hunting for drivers etc. Is there any way of fooling the Win 8 installer into thinking the OS is Win7 rather than Server 2008R2 as (fairly obviously) it won't let me do an upgrade install from Server to Desktop.

All thoughts gratefully appreciated
    Wouldn't it be easier to just flatten them? Copy your VM's to an external drive and backup from there.

There used to be a tool called NTSwitch, many many many moons ago, that would "convert" from server to pro but I doubt if it would work in this instance. It is also illegal lol.

IMHO backup your VM's then flatten your fleet and install Win 8 Pro.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree, but was more curious than anything else!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I'm inclined to agree, but was more curious than anything else!
        Would be interesting to know but I have a feeling it can't be done

Comment

Working...
        X