Windows 8 Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Features

What are the new features that comes with Windows 8 when comparing Windows 7. kindly describe the features with WindowsXP,Windows 7,Windows 8

Re: Windows 8 Features

There is a very useful, but little known, web site called which may help you with questions like this. To save you the 10 seconds such a search would take:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=win...E-qG0AXBzoCoDA

But a simple answer would include "the user interface formerly known as Metro"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One of Windows 8's "features" appears to keep IE the the default browser despite the fact that I have selected Firefox as my default.

I noticed it running a link from Outlook ... I didn't notice immediately but I kinda became aware of adverts running on the youtube link I was playing and (thought I) wondered why because I had, using FireFox blocked them using AdBlock. Then I realized I was running IE ... I checked and yes, Firefox was my default yet links and shortcuts to URL's run IE. Just checked in a virtual machine and that doesn't happen with Win 7 nor is it, as far as I know, the way earlier versions of Windows behave!

Tch tch ... naughty Microsoft! Go stand in the corner!

Keke
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

As Ossian stated. The net is your friend!

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows+7+v...mparison+Chart

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows+xp+...mparison+Chart

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
          As Ossian stated. The net is your friend!
          I don't understand ... I checked those links and neither appears to directly addresses the issue I'm talking about, they seem to be general comparison searches. Am I missing something?

Obviously (I hope) I have tried to do some searches but haven't been able to find anything specific yet.

Keke

Comment

I think Dutch was referring to the OPs original post -- top of the thread -- not to your specific request.

Yet another reason to stick with "one thread, one problem"
            btw, does this help at all?
            http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/27/the...nks-opened-in/
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              I think Dutch was referring to the OPs original post -- top of the thread -- not to your specific request.
              Oh! Sorry Dutch

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Yet another reason to stick with "one thread, one problem"
              btw, does this help at all?
              http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/27/the...nks-opened-in/
              Fair point and yes though indirectly ... the article led me to IE's internet settings but was talking about managing links between IE (Desktop) and Metro which wasn't what I wanted. However, a little further down the very same tab, was a "Set programs" button which sent me to a Default Programs dialog. A bit of investigation of the resultant dialog (when I clicked "Set your default programs") led me to click on "Firefox" and setting it to open all it's usable file types that it (Firefox) was able to.

Job done though why the hell it should be buried deep in IE settings is a complete mystery to me.

Many thanks anyway

Keke

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post

Job done though why the hell it should be buried deep in IE settings is a complete mystery to me.
                So changing away from a Microsoft browser should be an easily visible setting
                If you really believe that, I have a bridge you may be interested in
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki
                  why the hell it should be buried deep in IE settings is a complete mystery to me.
                  So it complies with the European Union requirements and MS don't get pinged with the multi-million Euro fines they got slammed with years ago. You may find similar hard to find settings with Windows Media Player. If you get the TechNet there are, from memory, N versions that apply to/for EU customers again so MS can be seen to comply with the EU requirements. Resistance is Futile and one day they will learn that large and small businesses will bend the rules so they comply with rulings without actually breaking the rulings.

Hope that makes sense. Tom will clarify if it doesn't. Time to stop posting me thinks and watch more movies and catch up on 6 weeks of missed TV shows.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me!

Enjoy the movies....
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      So it complies with the European Union requirements and MS don't get pinged with the multi-million Euro fines they got slammed with years ago.
                      Too late.

Link
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X