Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions of Windows 8?

Hi all,

So I went for it and installed the W8 dev preview, to be honest Im not really sold by it yet. Granted its only a preview so a lot can\will change no doubt but I think its designed too much with tablets in mind.

Working in IT and supporting users "I think" is going to be a headache if the features which were in the preview arent fully custumisable in the office environment. Just thought Id see what everyones else's opinion is?

Re: First impressions of Windows 8?

In addition to your comment " its designed too much with tablets in mind.", I think you could also add Touch Screens to that as well. Would also point out that it looks crap on a non wide screen monitor mainly due to all the horizontal scrolling necessary. Vertical scrolling was also annoying however to be fair, this was on the Developer Preview version and this may now have changed.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Agreed, Im not really a fan of this metro rubbish either. Its not like your at work (again Im thinking from a business point of view) and you suddenly think of installing this that and everything else.

As I say, its going to be a nightmare for network admins etc.

Comment

I suspect if you dig too deeply into the "Metro" system files, most of them would have "Windows 3" somewhere in the code

So far Metro has put me off trying it, but I suspect I will have to get stuck in soon.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

First things I noticed:

Our Cisco AnyConnect client doesn't seem to want to connect to anything using Windows 8. How did that happen?

It does seem designed for touchscreen tablets. I figure I'll just turn Metro off on a real computer. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So I downloaded it, and the Metro... errr.... bedspread seems a bit useless at the moment, what with the near-complete lack of widgets available in the Windows Store. Has anyone found any other interesting widgets?
          Last edited by mesheree; 12th March 2012, 18:44.

Comment

I am determined, with the steely fire of a thousand Honey Badgers, to learn Windows 8 inside and out...

...if for no other reason than to be able to intelligently ridicule it.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide
              ...if for no other reason than to be able to intelligently ridicule it
              Careful Wes, it will drag you down to its level.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

wesley you should love it.. you'll require an intimate knowledge of powershell i suspect..
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I was on MSDN last night and thought about downloading it. However MSDN also now has a quasi-Metro interface. It's very handy, getting to subscriber downloads only takes 800-900 clicks these days.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Been running it as my main machine for about 2 weeks now don't really have any complaints.

I did an in-place upgrade (after doing a full backup of course) and the system seems a bit snappier now. No OS or application crashes. I did have to reinstall my VPN client but that I think was because the upgrade got rid of the TAP interface. I haven't been able to look at much of the new features yet. Feels pretty much like Windows 7 for now.

In the next few weeks I plan on formatting and installing Server 8 and using that as my main machine for awhile to get a feel for it. We'll see how that goes.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have it running on my Iconia W500. Works like a charm and very impressed with the UI. Microsoft will be using the Metro UI right across the board for all their products including the upcoming release of Office/Outlook. That said im more interested to see what their 'Market Place' has developed into. As 2 years ago or so on Windows Mobile 6 it was horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                        I have it running on my Iconia W500. Works like a charm and very impressed with the UI. Microsoft will be using the Metro UI right across the board for all their products including the upcoming release of Office/Outlook. That said im more interested to see what their 'Market Place' has developed into. As 2 years ago or so on Windows Mobile 6 it was horrendous.
                        I think the thing that I'm most interested in is seeing how the Windows "App Store" turns out. It's about time they moved in that direction.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                          I think the thing that I'm most interested in is seeing how the Windows "App Store" turns out. It's about time they moved in that direction.
                          Is that the new name for it? Used to be known as Market Place on Windows Mobile. Either way its high time MS started getting some decent apps and development on it.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                            Is that the new name for it? Used to be known as Market Place on Windows Mobile. Either way its high time MS started getting some decent apps and development on it.
                            It's technically called the "Windows Store" I think.
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Well after running it within a VM I curtanly buy a new Mac within a couple of months or so.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X