Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Windows 7 home disc, but I have the key

Hello,

I have to install Windows 7 home on my father's computer. My father didn't make any copy of the system (an image) , nor have we the original Windows 7 cd.

But, under the laptop we have the stick with the Windows 7 home serial number.

I was thinking:

Could I download Windows 7 home from Microsoft, then apply the serial number?
    or maybe calling to a Microsoft representative?.

Edition: Another thing...How could I know whether it is a 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bits ? .

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: No Windows 7 home disc, but I have the key

You should be able to plug the key into this site and get the relevant disk.

It may not work however as OEM keys don't appear to work, only going on what I've read from other sites.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Comment

Thanks a lot Wullieb1.

What is OEM?. I mean, I found this:

"...OEM (original equipment manufacturer) is a broad term whose meaning has evolved over time. In the past, OEM referred to the company that originally built a given product, which was then sold to other companies to rebrand and resell. Over time, however, the term is more frequently used to describe those companies in the business of rebranding a manufacturer's products and selling them to end customers..."

But, in more plain words? . Sorry about such basic question!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I thought you worked in IT.

OEM is essentially an OS that is shipped by a specific manufacturer and may have a different EULA than those that are retail, they typically do from my experience.

Comment

try post #1 here
          http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...gone-for-good/
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            I thought you worked in IT.

OEM is essentially an OS that is shipped by a specific manufacturer and may have a different EULA than those that are retail, they typically do from my experience.

I work as in the IT field (currently looking for a job actually), but as a (very eager) IT Assistant. I know a lot about some things, but really little about many others.
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

OEM is essentially an OS that is shipped by a specific manufacturer
              -

Thanks Wullieb.

OEM is an operating system?.

So, Windows 7 OEM , and then, the other would be: Windows 7 non-OEM?

**I AM AWARE THE QUESTION LOOKS SILLY, TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT ONE CAN LOOK IT UP ON GOOGLE, but sometimes, studying on my own, is hard and don't understand everything.
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Windows 7 OEM is identical to other "flavours" - the difference is in how it is sold and how the keys are used.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

I still don't understand what OEM is.

I am reading out there on the internet:

"...OEM Software
                  An example of OEM software would be:

You purchase a printer and you get a photo-editing application bundled with the printer. This software has been supplied to the printer manufacturer under an OEM licence, and usually can only be sold or given away to consumers who purchase a printer.

Typically, you will find that OEM software does not come with a manual or a box. If it is software that you are experienced in using then having no manual won't be a problem, but if not, most OEM software does still come with the built-in help system.

In most countries the majority of OEM software must be purchased with accompanying hardware. However, some OEM software can be purchased separately, and the difference in price between OEM and full retail software can be substantial. So if having no box, no manual and no technical support is not a concern, then it can be a great deal.

note: Some OEM software is a cutdown version of its retail counterpart, always make sure the software has all of the features you need..."

-------------

OH MY, IT FEELS BAD.
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

OEM is just software sold with special license conditions attached. For example the bundled copy of Windows with a new PC will be OEM, and as a result much cheaper than a copy in a shop
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks.

So, You buy this Toshiba X320 (made that up) and then that used to come (now anymore!) with a Windows CD.

That CD is an OEM Windows ?

Maybe I should look into it myself, sorry for such dumb a question.
                      -
                      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

That's right, although these days it will normally come without the CD, but with Windows pre-installed and maybe an option to make a backup copy
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Working...
                        X