No announcement yet.

How to backup the important client PCs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to backup the important client PCs?

Hello,

I am placing this question into the Windows 7 section because I think it has much to do with it.

I am very curious as to how System Adiministrator backup the important Client machines, the Windows 7 machines belonging to the managers.

If there are 20 o 25 PCs that need to be backed up on a daily basis, how would that be done by a good System administrator?

Is it a real possible scenario?.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: How to backup the important client PCs?

Part and parcel of being an IT professional is being able to ask detailed, concise and well informed questions. You're not doing that with this question.

Define "backup" in your context. Does that mean backing up the entire computer so that it can be restored from bare metal? Does that mean backing up the user profile? Does that mean backing up My Documents? Et., etc.

Define "important client machine" in your context. Is every manager's computer important? Are some more important than others? Do non-managers have critical data that needs to be backed up?

A good Systems Administrator would first define these and determine the exact needs and objectives before asking the question.

So put some more detail into the question, give us some information and insight into your needs and objectives and we'll have a ton of answers and suggestions for you, I'm sure.

Comment

Thanks JoeQwerty,

1- I'm not working yet, that is precisely why I am so concerned. I have been working in the IT for some years though, to a medium level.

2-Important PCs: That is easy to assess, it would take some days.

3-Backups: Ideally, an image of the computer. The important files could be backed up through a GPO called "redirection folder", if my memory serves me well.

I just wanted to be aware about how nowadays System Administrator back up those important PCs. If they do image of those, or just Folder Redirection, or use Acronis, et cetera.
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Files: do NOT allow users to store anything on their local machine (or if they do, advise them it is at their own risk!)

Profiles: folder redirection as you identify, roaming profiles if absolutely required

OS: Master Images deployed by WDS or SCCM, so wipe and re-image the PC, not making any effort to recover data (see FILES above)

If machine level backup is absolutely required, Backup Exec with workstation client, System Center DPM or some other third party solution
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Files: do NOT allow users to store anything on their local machine (or if they do, advise them it is at their own risk!)...
          We have stipulated this from the very start and all new staff are told during their IT induction that they can't store files locally, and it is a documented policy.

The whole reason we went over to a server/client system was because of data sprawl. I'd encourage you to do the same and stop staff saving files to their machines. It ensures your data can be centrally managed and backed up easily without introducing unnecessary complexity and it also means that if the client goes down you don't have to worry about maintaining the integrity of the data and can just reformat and reinstall.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
            X