File associations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File associations

Can anyone think of why My Win 7 fails to save the extra file association I try to set for certain files like MP3 and BAS files please?

I want Goldwave to be included on the list for MP3 and BAS files to open when clicked on with Notepad as does dear old Win XP.

Re: File associations

Hi, I would go about doing this by opening the 'Default Programs' applet via control panel or search and then choosing 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program' option.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Right Click the required file.
      Click on Open With
      Click on Choose Default Program...

From there select the required program to open the file.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I suspect there is something actually faulty with this wretched Win 7, though it has not been detected by MS as I have installed all the updates.

The fact is it does not matter whether I instruct it to remember Open with under a right click or the Default Programs settings, it fails to remember changes, just like the icon sizes for each folders.

Comment

Are you in a position to backup your data, format and reinstall?

( you are not describing normal behaviour so best remove all possible causes)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No chance. Thanks to some fools in a local PC shop who lost my Windows 7 OS and a Drivers disks I already tried 3 times to reinstall Win 7 from a weird Windows OS disk of only about 2 GB they gave me. I was baffled how to install IE 11 when it only had the risky IE 8, until MS installed IE 11 with an update. So I do not have an original MS disk. I do seem to have managed to install all the correct drivers using a DVD included with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2211043585...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If I get any more problems I will buy a laptop with Win.8.1, I bought a HDM1 to VGA lead for this 17 monitor. This Win 7 also did have the lovely habit of sometimes turning all of a sudden. Though it could be due a glitch in the power supply. I have now been turning on the Fibre router 5 minutes before starting Win 7.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              No chance. Thanks to some fools in a local PC shop who lost my Windows 7 OS and a Drivers disks I already tried 3 times to reinstall Win 7 from a weird Windows OS disk of only about 2 GB they gave me. I was baffled how to install IE 11 when it only had the risky IE 8, until MS installed IE 11 with an update. So I do not have an original MS disk. I do seem to have managed to install all the correct drivers using a DVD included with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2211043585...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If I get any more problems I will buy a laptop with Win.8.1, I bought a HDM1 to VGA lead for this 17 monitor. This Win 7 also did have the lovely habit of sometimes turning all of a sudden. Though it could be due a glitch in the power supply. I have now been turning on the Fibre router 5 minutes before starting Win 7.
              There are numerous ways to get a Windows 7 ISO all of your own. All perfectly legal if you wanted as well.

Go to this site and select the relevant file you require and download then re-install using that.

http://www.techverse.net/download-wi...icial-servers/

Please note that this is only one way of getting these files. There are numerous sites that will do the same thing and as mentioned it is all perfectly legal to do so as they are coming from Microsoft themselves.

Comment

Thanks once I found the right link. But I understand you can only get Windows serial registration validated 3 times or need to phone MS. Is that correct because in trying to install Win 7 with the strange DVD supplied by the shop who lost my original, the serial may have been used 3 times already?

Comment

Thanks once I found the right link. But I understand you can only get Windows serial registration validated 3 times or need to phone MS. Is that correct because in trying to install Win 7 with the strange DVD supplied by the shop who lost my original, the serial may have been used 3 times already?
                  Its a 2 min automated phone call.

Phone number, enter serial number, enter code given.

You just have to agree that the other installations are no longer installed.

Comment

The supplied media may be of Windows 7 Ultimate and you originally had Windows 7 Home. It will not like the Windows 7 key that you will be using from you machine.
                    It may also be that your machine was supplied with an OEM key and the media you were given is not an OEM version. There should be a Windows 7 key on your COA sticker that should be on you machine. If you have a laptop, remove the battery and it will be in the battery bay.

Failing that Gordon, PM me.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks everyone. Since the only remaining fault on this wretched Win 7 relates to failure to retain personal file associations, I am too lazy to reinstall Win 7 all over again for the umpteenth time. Also again unlike XP we do not appear to be allowed to create a new .EXT to the list. I want to create a Notepad association for .BAS files.

But I have found a reliable little shareware program below that has detected all the licence serials on both a Win 7 and XP

http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/license...r_1.44.785.zip

Comment

JellyBean Key Finder will do it for free

Comment

Working...
                        X