No announcement yet.

one link opens in minimized IE window

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one link opens in minimized IE window

since there are no dedicated IE forum, I will post here on W7.

the client application has a library with a links. Some of them open in the client interface but most of them in IE.
    There is a problem with one Link that actually opens IE but the window is minimized right after opening.
    I need to demystify this...
    The difference between opened browser window and minimized (after maximizing it) is:
    Opened normally browser is the window with address bar and buttons (just full browser).
    Opened in minimized mode is "locked" to not have all the above features. Just has Internet Explorer name in window frame.
    The app that I am using is a Virtual Package. I saw one example where the same app is installed locally (not virtualized) opens the link that is minimized in my case normally. I would check closely both cases.
    The IE versions are different in my example. Mine is IE8 other was 10.
    Personally, I don't think that virtualized app may have any impact. The app calls local IE.
    I am not an expert in HTML codding, but I believe there is something in page creation that push the window to minimize.
    What it could be? Why the page minimized and why the window that is minimized is "locked"?
    May there is some IE setting for the "cure"?
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: one link opens in minimized IE window

If it's only 1 page which does this, you may want to use the IE Zones in Group Policy to restrict what opening pages can do (replace menus, hide the menu bar, etc.) and see what happens when the offending link is opened. Force most interface changes and see if the app opens as you'd expect, not as it has been.

The policies I'm talking about can be found under both Computer- and User-level sections of a policy being edited. Don't have a domain available to look at just now, but I think you'll find the policies under Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Internet Explorer. There you can define a lot of security about IE, down to individual security settings that can be unique for each of the 4 named 'zones' in IE (Trusted Sites, Local Intranet, Internet and Restricted Sites.)
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

After further verification:

when click the link (problematic one), IE icon appears on the task bar.
      I called it minimized. And then to open the window a user had to click on icon.
      I found that the window actually is opened after clicking on the link.
      I moved the opened application window from which the link was called and "found" the opened by link window opened. So it does open but "behind" the application window.
      Theoretically, it's kind of missing "always on top" option.
      As mentioned earlier, it is the only link that has this behavior.
      Any suggestion? Is it related to page codding?
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Hi, I have a couple of ideas which you could try.

First thing, open the IE window and then change it manually to the size you want by usig the cursor. Next to close don't use the X, use the file exit options on the left. This should save the settings.
        Second option is to go to Tools > Internet Options and then the "Advanced" tab, next click "Reset"
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.