Image capture peters out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image capture peters out

Anyone ever seen an imagex capture process simply stall? I've got a specimen stand-alone machine with an x64 image on it, using a brand-new Win7 AIK-generated WinPE disc for the x64 environment, to an external USB HDD (2 different devices tried so far), and the process only gets part-way thru before it appears to simply stop. The storage device(s) used so far all have indicator lites to show traffic/activity, but they stop showing work and go steady, like the drive is waiting to be contacted.

Everything remains powered on. The storage device is independantly powered. the first time it quit, the capture got thru 8%. After using Ctrl-C to abort, I swapped out the storage device with another type of device and tried again. It slowed down at 5%, ticked over to 6 and then finally 7%, then everything just sat there.

Finally bailed the whole thing and shut it all down to try again tomorrow. Haven't found anything on this kind of behavior by searching the 'Big G', so I don't have any real ideas to chase. The HDD being captured is an SSD, but the WinPE environment doesn't have any issue with navigating the sysprep'd folders.

Any ideas?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: Image capture peters out

Disregard. Looks like the image itself had some issue. Decided to re-open the image by booting the PC and couldn't get into it. The 'generalize' appears to have affected the built-in admin account, which we had renamed, so that I couldn't get back in. Two user accounts were unaffected, but the lockdown is so tight that, without access to the renamed admin, it was unuseable.

I've got to rebuild it, but this time I'm not playing around with sysprep. The devices I'm deploying the image to are physically incapable of networking, so all we have to worry about is the Windows license key, which we'll change during the deployment process.
    *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Haven't had your exact problem but have had a customised setup being screwed up by sysprep. Bloody annoying eh.

, but I have heard of images getting screwed when pulling them from the workstation to the WDS Server (not a sysprep problem obviously). Just remembered when I read you swapped out the target media for second attempt.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I actually used 3 different target media, with the same results. Re-did the image build from scratch, didn't bother with sysprep at all, just captured using imagex. It's going on multiple devices which ave been absolutely locked down, so no network access, etc. We'll simply copy the WIM file to each, rename each and replace the Windows activation key, and then carry on with other work. Without network, WDS or MDT isn't an option, just tried using the sysprep steps out of habit. Live & learn.
        *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
        X