Domain client unable to connect to Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain client unable to connect to Internet

I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow and a charity I provide support for reported a problem getting emails.

I logged on to the desktop (Win 7 Pro) remotely via the domain controller (using a VPN connection, then remote desktop from their domain controller - 2008 R2).

Initially just one web page worked, after I ran ipconfig /flushdns nothing works. All web pages 404.

Internet access is fine from the domain controller.

The client's IP settings are static and are correct. It points to the domain controller for DNS 192.168.2.10 and to the router for the gateway 192.168.2.1.

I have tried adding Google's public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the forwarders tab on the DNS server (on the domain controller).

The charity uses Sophos Endpoint Security and I have disabled the firewall but the issue persists.

The basic network information in the Network and Sharing Center shows a red x between the network and the Internet.

I'm presently running a full virus scan in case the machine is infected.

As luck would have it everyone else has waited until my last day before my holiday to get me to setup clients and configure them (they've had more than a week's notice Grrrr)

I'm up to my eyes at the moment and am just throwing this out there in case anyone has any suggestions I might try which will save me visiting their office during my holiday! I've probably forgotten to check some basic stuff because I'm so busy so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Domain client unable to connect to Internet

Just throwing things out, here:

To verify whether it's DNS: on the client PC, clear the DNS cache (ipconfig) /flushdns). Then try to navigate to any internet page, and then check the DNS cache contents to see if the lookup worked. If the destination page info is there, DNS isn't the issue.

Can the client ping the gateway? Can you ping an internet IP straight without resolving a name? Is any other client experiencing the same problem? As a one-off, reset the IP stack (netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt). If you don't include the path to a log file, it fails & tells you so.

Once the Sophos firewall is disabled, does the Windows firewall become active?

Even if the DNS forwarders are set, either to your ISP or to Google, are the root hints values configured?

Good luck!
    Last edited by RicklesP; 30th July 2014, 20:06.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. I'd forgotten about resetting the TCP/IP stack. I've reset it successfully and restarted it but it has not appeared back on the network. Looks like I'm going to have to go there tomorrow. Bummer

I had also tried using http://IP address and ping IP address without success.

Hopefully, it will be a short visit

Cheers!

Comment

Bloody hell.

All the clients were affected. Nothing in the client logs or the DC's system/DNS logs to suggest what the cause was. Restarting the DC solved it.

Still, the up side was that after leaving them happy and leaving the office I got to take part in some awesome street magic

Comment

Originally posted by Blood
          I got to take part in some awesome street magic
          Do you mean you disappeared off onto your holiday? Click image for larger version

Name:	acclaim.gif
Views:	8
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	466853
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Haha - yes. It was a very good start to the holiday