USB Flash Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Flash Drives

Why is it wonderful 64 bit Windows 7 takes ages to recognise any USB flash drive when plugged in, at least for the first time it is inserted.

My dear old Win XP bleeps and recognises any such immediately though admittedly for some reason the box listening the options no longer shows.

Re: USB Flash Drives

i have been trying to figure out what the deal with that is myself. sometimes it takes a day, sometimes its as soon as i plug it in.

the size seems to be a factor. the larger they are, the longer it takes... but not always.

sometimes i can put in identical drives, but one id a fat32, the other is an NTFS... and they pop up at different times, idk.

seems x64 is slower, but not always. i have crappy flash drives that are small, yet them pop up quicker than my brand-name memorex/kingston drives that cost 4 times as much as my little PNY drive regardless of size or brand.

i have an external 2.5" hard drive/SATA bridge i use and its instantaneous upon insertion. weird that a can plug in a 350 gigabyte drive in and have it ready before an 8g thumb drive is even recognized...

and i have to put this in there too: my linux systems are instant! im running a 2.6 deb distro on my laptop, dual boot 2.6 kernel and windows 7 x64, and windows is the only one that has these issues with the flash drives. go figure...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Do others find 32 bit Win XP always displays any Flash Drive instantly?

Comment

i just went to find an XP machine to test this theory...

its the only machine running XP in this office now, and its not XP like your thinking, its an XP embedded machine with a couple USB ports... its a copy machine fer christ sake...

so i go plug it in and VIOLA! Da-Ding!

the XP embedded copy machine is faster than an i5 core with 16 gigs of DDR3.

its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

If it is not off subject I tinker with producing simple freeware programs for any Debian Linux see

http://www.sigord.co.uk//SubmitsLinux/LinuxSoftware.htm

Comment

I believe it is to do with drivers - XP uses a generic USB driver that is pre-loaded while 7 looks for more appropriate drivers (possibly embedded on the drive) and loads them to give fuller functionality.

I hope the "next time" you plug it in it is a bit quicker?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              I believe it is to do with drivers - XP uses a generic USB driver that is pre-loaded while 7 looks for more appropriate drivers (possibly embedded on the drive) and loads them to give fuller functionality.
              If you look in the System Tray when a thumb drive appears to be on strike, you can click on the icon that look a bit like a small tower and it will tell you that it is "searching" for a driver. Can't remember the exact message but from memory it has 3 stages (unless I am hallucinating from the mushrooms again ) and one of the stages refers to Windows Update or similar wording. This bears out what Dr Tom states in the above quote.

I got some cheap and nasty drives from a company called Officeworks here in OZ. The are a SanDisk "brand" according to the print on the device but on some machines they are recognised as Firebird and if I boot from them it can be read as a Cruzer. I believe these USBs are made by several different suppliers and branded SanDisk, however, I can get different names when booting from one or inserting the same drive after boot.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This probably accounts for me having to dump a number of flash drives of 8 to 32 Gb. After filling then up by about 50% up comes the dreaded message like ' Drive is Write Protected '. So you cannot do anything with it any more. I understand something gets altered in a Windows registry each time you plug it in.

Now I only use a tiny more expensive Kingston drive. But two little 4 Gb drives never give any trouble, though I have never used more than about 500 Mb of either.

Comment

You didn't buy those "write protect" ones off eBay by any chance? What happens when you format them? Do you use FAT32, NTFS or exFAT? Keep in mind that FAT32 will not take file larger than 2GB. Had that issue with a 32GB drive that I thought was NTFS but was actually FAT32 and if I remember correctly it was a write protection error when I tried to copy the 2.94GB file onto it.

I had an 8GB drive with 30MB free and a 32GB with about 750MB free without any problems.

Can you post the brand names of the troublesome drives. I will see if I can find a USB Flash Drive checker. Must be something out there though it my only read the firmware that is installed on the device and not the actual capacity. When these devices started to become popular but were still quite expensive small drives were "modified" to read as much larger ones and files would appear to copy to them but didn't.

This one (first one) looks ok as well as the above one in the hyperlink. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-c...b-flash-drive/ Have to grab the other 2 and test them out as they look like they may be useful at this point in time.

Bugger, closed the post too soon. This one checks for fake capacity. http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...01b3/24776/4/1 Click the click here link in the first line of text on the page to start the download.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 10th July 2014, 03:56.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks but I think I dumped the last one now. I did buy them all from Ebay partly to save getting on the bus. I have had no trouble with a couple of 4 Gb drives or the tiny more expensive Kingston only 1 inch by 0.5

They would never allow me to reformat them at all. I even tried subjecting the faulty ones to a strong magnetic field such as an old Tape Head Demagnitiser !!

Comment

Have a read here at this site. Damn interesting site. Nice story about the h2testw.exe Fake Capacity testing tool (last link in my above post). http://fixfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...ide-made-easy/

If you buy something off eBay that doesn't work....COMPLAIN! If the seller is genuine you will get a replacement or even a refund. I have had both several times. I even purchased something that was too cheap to be true which to no surprise didn't work but I still advised the seller that he was selling a fake product. The product was withdrawn and I wore the cost ($7) even though I was offered a partial refund (not worth the hassle).

Flash Drives do NOT store data on magnetic material like a Floppy Disk or mechanical Hard Drive. It is stored in electronic circuits so trying to "degauss" a Flash Drive is just not going to work. Bit like blowing up a tractor tyre with a balloon.

Some interesting info about Flash Drive storage.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive
                      http://www.explainthatstuff.com/flashmemory.html - this one you might like.
                      http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-d...rive-work.html
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Keep in mind that FAT32 will not take file larger than 2GB. Had that issue with a 32GB drive that I thought was NTFS but was actually FAT32 and if I remember correctly it was a write protection error when I tried to copy the 2.94GB file onto it.
                        FAT32 file size limitation was 4GB not 2GB. That was FAT16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Comment

My apologies Gordon for posting duff info about the files size. My opiate free brain is now remembering many more things but some obviously not quite in the correct order yet.

Thanks for the corrected posting Wullie. Much appreciated, really! Click image for larger version

Name:	2thumbs.gif
Views:	5
Size:	320 Bytes
ID:	466848
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X