No announcement yet.

Make Home Drive Available Offline Remotely

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Home Drive Available Offline Remotely

First time posting here. I have done quite a bit of searching for a method to accomplish this task and have not found anything dealing with this specific issue.
    I am working in a Windows 7 environment with some users on laptops. These users connect remotely via vpn when working out of the office. I would like to make their personal "home" drives available offline, but I do not want to coordinate with 100+ users to remote in to each one and do this manually. Most of what I have come across so far has been to make all folders available offline, but I am looking for a way to target this specific drive, as making all folders available offline would result in terabytes of data pushed to these computers. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, GPOs, scripts, etc.

Re: Make Home Drive Available Offline Remotely

A good place to start would be with a GPO. User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Offline Files.

Now, I've never done this with Offline Files, but with GPO Folder Redirection, you could use variables. For instance, since all our network shares were shared with their usernames, we just used the %username% variable ("\\server\%username%\My Documents"). I don't see why that wouldn't work for assigning offline folders, I've just never done it.