Printer Sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Sharing

Hi guys, long time since I've been here. I have a bit of a problem I'm facing.

I'm doing some side work for a non profit here at home and I'm running into trouble.

We recently upgraded 3 machines from XP Pro to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit. I would have preferred to go Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit but the owner went with Home Premium.

He uses a DOS based book keeping program he wrote over 30 years ago to run this business. Here's my problem and the map of what I'm working with.

Two computer, both Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit.

Computer 1 is named Main and acts as a "server"
    Computer 2 is named WS7 and is the book keeping computer (used to print PO's, etc...

Main has an Okidata printer connected via Parallel on port LPT1.
    WS7 has an HP Laserjet 3015 connected via USB using port DOT4.

Okidata printer is shared from Main as Okidatam.
    HP Laserjet 3015 is shared from WS7 as HP3015.

From WS7, I can UNC (\\main\okidatam) and find the printer and connect to it. It shows up correctly and is on port LPT1

Form Main, I can UNC (\\WS7\HP3015) and find the printer and connect to it. It shows up correctly and is on port DOT4.

From WS7, If I change the port of the shared Okidata printer from LPT1 to LPT3, it also changes it on Main from LPT1 to LPT3.

On Main, I need the port to show the UNC path rather than using the DOT4 port. It needs to show this: \\WS7\HP3015.

On WS7, I am unable to add the Okidata on a local port. it simply tells me "Access Denied".

On Main, I am unable to add the HP3015 on a local port, it simply tells me "Access Denied".

I've got file and printer sharing on, I disabled the firewall for local traffic only. I've shared both printers correctly and set permissions for "Everyone" to have full control of the printers.

I've created a batch file with these commands:

net use */d
    netuse LPT3: \\main\okidatam

it says it completes when run but the printer never shows up.

My next course of action will be to create a user on both systems called Printer with a generic password and give it full access to the printers and try it then.

I know I'm probably hindering myself working with Win7 Home Premium but there has to be a work around or a fix somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Re: Printer Sharing

Well, I feel like a complete [email protected]

The local admin accounts I created on each computer when setting them up didn't have a password set on them. I completely overlooked that fact.

Once I created a generic admin account with a password everything worked as it should have.

I cannot believe I overlooked something so simple.

24 hours wasted because I was too stupid to put a freaking password when I knew I should have...

Thanks,
    Todd

Comment

Eh, everybody makes mistakes from time to time, and lots aren't found so quickly. I once spent 9 hours on the phone with Microsoft only to discover (before the MS guy did) that I had Microsoft misspelled.

In the end, you solved your problem; that's what a win looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
        Eh, everybody makes mistakes from time to time, and lots aren't found so quickly. I once spent 9 hours on the phone with Microsoft only to discover (before the MS guy did) that I had Microsoft misspelled.

In the end, you solved your problem; that's what a win looks like.

Yes I did, and that's normally how it goes. I get stuck, post a question and then during the time waiting for someone to reply, I figure it out.

It's very humbling finding something like this that is so simple and something i should have done initially. Oh well...

I'm not going to even get into my spelling mistakes!

Thanks,
        Todd

Comment

Humbling experiences build character.

Comment

Working...
          X