logging in to a different network on another site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logging in to a different network on another site

Hi I'm sure this is straight forward but I don't know how to do it. I am working for a local charity that has 2 offices, one with server 2008 domain, the other with a peer to peer network with a workgroup set up. The manager wants to be able to take her laptop from one site to the other and log on to the appropriate network and access the various features, printers etc in each.
    Can someone point me in the right direction please.
    The laptop is running Windows 7 Pro
    thanks
    Last edited by cygnus; 24th June 2014, 11:03.

Re: logging in to a different network on another site

To log on to a Windows domain, the PC must be a member of that domain. The user will then be able to log on using domain credentials.

A workgroup has no authentication service, so there's nothing to log on to. It's just a bunch of standalone PCs with a common workgroup name. Shared resources must be accessed using credentials as defined on the sharing computer.

The user should simply log on to her PC using any valid account (including the domain account from the other network, using locally cached credentials). When accessing shared resources in the workgroup such as folders or printers, she may have to enter a separate username/password as required by the PC sharing the resource, unless there's an account on that PC that happens to have the exact same name and password as her domain account.

Comment

Re: logging in to a different network on another site

to build on ser olmy (or maybe even exactly what he said! :P)

have two accounts.

A Domain account
      A local account

use "switch user" to switch between them"
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X