Dual Boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot

I have a 63 Gb partition on an older PC which I am unable to remove, it being a relic of when I attempted to install Mint Linux. It is along with the main partition using Win XP. The only files on the 63 Partition are strangely sub folders for System Volume Info and Recycler. I need to continue to use Win XP to run an old scanner, a centronics printer and numerous 32 old games, all of which refuse to work on this PC with wonderful 64 bit Win 7

If I were to attempt to dual boot the old PC by installing say Windows 7, does Windows 7 allow me to choose the 63 Gb partition to safely install it, and then automatically provide an option on boot up to select Win XP or 7?

Re: Dual Boot

No reason it shouldn't work, but try it and if you feel any doubts, just abort before you start installing
    (Basically go through the setup and see if you can select the 63Gb partition, if not, bail out)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional (and what's the other one) you could install Win7 and then XPMode so you could run your scanner and printer etc under XP. Have the same setup with an old but very expensive at the time scanner that has no Win7 driver but works wonderfully well under XP. The hardware doesn't even need to be VT capable either.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        and what's the other one
        Enterprise

Comment

I know XP mode will support USB passthrough, but a centronics printer (must be the last in existence ) was also mentioned...
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I think the question of being able to use an old HP centronics Inkjet just centers around whether the PC has a centronics port, which most Laptops no do not being much to thin. I did try the Centronics to USB adapter cable with no success, even after altering the PC printer output setting from LPT to USB and trying some some simple Generic Text driver from the Windows list.

It is shame I will need to abandon my dear old HP Inkjet, as it still prints just as well as any fancy modern one, and unlike many modern printers it does accept cheaper ink cartridges good enough for my purposes. I did once a fancy new printer the make of which I best not mention, and had to dump it when like many today it refused to accept cartridges except produced my the maker. In fact I could not even get the stupid cartridge hold to settle where I could access it to change cartridges. Unlike this old HP where the holder obligingly settles down in the center as soon as you lift the lid.

Comment

You can (well, could a few years ago) get USB to Centronics connectors
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

OH they are available OK from such as Mr Ebay. I have two of the cables with a centronics at one end and USB at the other, but I could never get them to work and print anything.

Comment

You could always attach it to a Print Server. Did that to my Parallel Printer to make it networkable. Mind you it was a very old Netgear FR114P Router with 4 Port Switch and a 36 pin port that was very useful.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a print serve connect a printer to this PC as the old HP only have a centronics port? Does it also have a USB port, and where would I buy such a server, on EBay of my local PC shop at http://www.kccomputers.co.uk/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                      Forgive my ignorance, but how does a print serve connect a printer to this PC as the old HP only have a centronics port? Does it also have a USB port, and where would I buy such a server, on EBay of my local PC shop at http://www.kccomputers.co.uk/ ?
                      A print server is a server that will allow you to install a network printer.

In essence what happens is this:

1. Configure print server with an IP address
                      2. Connect printer to print server
                      3. Configure printer to work with print server
                      4. Install printer on client PC by connecting directly to the Print Server
                      5. Print

You can also add local ports to print to the printer but that's something else

Comment

Something like this Gordon. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK-Si...item3ce24fbd6f

The printer cable connects to the printer and a network cable plugs into the other side of the Print Server. This can then connect to a network switch OR you can run a Nul Hub cable (also know as a crossover cable, usually red) and plug directly into your Network Port on your computer.

TP Link is my favourite as they usually have a 3 year warranty. Check for other prices as I have seen them cheaper here in OZ and things here are mostly more expensive than Blighty.

Yell out if you need more help finding more Print Servers to look at.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 6th June 2014, 11:51.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for all your help folks.

But it does not seem to be any cheaper to use a print server to run an old Centronics Printer that to just buy a new cheap USB printer.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                            But it does not seem to be any cheaper to use a print server to run an old Centronics Printer that to just buy a new cheap USB printer.
                            Think consumables Gordon. What has the cheaper ink/toner cartridge purchase price. The new or the old?
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I must admit my dear old HP deskjet 6122 accepts ANYBODIES ink cartridges. But I had to dump a fancy new printer by another make because it would only accept those by its maker. Worse unlike my old HP the wretched carrier would not stop in the centre allowing cartridges to be changed. I had to hold it by brute force before switching off !

I understand manufactures adopt various tricks to detect cartridges are made by them. In fact some even give false warnings of the ink running out before it has run out.

Comment

Working...
                              X