No announcement yet.

Odd Printing Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Printing Issue

We use a Konica-Minolta C452 printer. The printer comprises a base unit and fiery, both of which are connected to the network (there are two CAT5 cables).

Yesterday the yellow imaging unit displayed a beyond life message.

The web interface has shown Yellow, Magenta and Cyan imaging units as being 100% (fully used) for some time. I had contacted the supplier we lease the printer from and they said the web display was not accurate and that a warning would be displayed and that after that the printer would still print between 8 and 10k sheets.

After the warning was displayed yesterday all our Windows 7 clients were unable to print. The printer showed as Offline. However, XP clients could print without any problems. After an hour the Win 7 clients could print again.

We had tried restarting clients and restarting the printer without any difference.

There is nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem and the firewall logs are similarly silent...

Anyone know why this might have happened?

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Odd Printing Issue

A couple of questions:
    Is the print device shared on a server, or do clients connect directly by IP?
    Is there an installed application on the client, or just a driver?

It seems that the Win7 application (or driver) is "intelligent" enough to spot the printer claims to be out of consumables and mark it offline - as in artificial intelligence beats real stupidity.

Have you tried either updating the drivers, or possibly downgrading to an older one?

I would be telling your supplier, in no uncertain terms, to get the imaging units replaced ASAP - that is why you are paying them per page
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Odd Printing Issue

All client connect directly via IP. The driver is the latest available for this model which is developed by Develop for the fiery.

They sent out a trainee engineer today to replace the yellow IU and he was puzzled by the fact that the Win7 clients could not print. I'll ask their support to research it. They did say they would ask the engineers about it but I've not had any feedback so far

I spoke to the supplier earlier today and asked them to replace the remaining imaging units.

I'm with you - there is definitely something kicking in prematurely here.
      Last edited by Blood; 2nd May 2014, 11:52.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy