32-bit games on 64 bit Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32-bit games on 64 bit Windows 7

Some 75% of my old 32 bit games no longer run on wonderful Windows 7, though DOSBOX still runs much of the old DOS Software.

Does anyone know of any software capable of allowing such 32 bit software that cannot normally run on 64 bit Windows to run again? Preferably Freeware of course.

Re: 64 bit Windows 7

If you are running Win7 Pro or Ent, you have XPMode and a free copy of XP (32-bit) to run things under

If you are on home, you have Virtual PC but need to supply the guest OS license yourself - could be XP, could be something older (I have run Win9x under VPC, although I would not recommend it)

Yes, I know, XP... support... global disaster waiting to happen... but in reality if you are careful, you won't have any issues, especially with games
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. I am on only running Windows Home Premium on this PC so I presume it does not has VP Mode.

Yes I do have a second PC with only XP, and I saw ZDNET say it should remain safe if I stop using the vulnerable IE 8 and use Firefox instead, but I rarely go online with it now anyway.

I also have to use it for the scanner and printer as I am too mean to buy new ones to please Win 7, especially as I seldom need to use either now. That is apart from a 91 years old guy who insists on sending me typewritten articles for the club magazine I have to use OCR software to convert it to a DOC.

Comment

Virtual PC is free, but you will need an OS to install on it

btw, I'm moving this thread to the Win7 forum for better responses
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: 32-bit games on 64 bit Windows 7

It really does depend on the game, but IME very few will run well in VMs unless they have very minimal graphics requirements.

I keep a couple of old PCs that aren't networked for playing old games on, I've got one running Windows 98 SE for DOS and 9x games and one running XP for the few games that won't run well under Windows 7. Most of these are car racing or shoot em ups and it's always been graphics issues that prevent them running on anything newer.

DOSBox works well for lots of games though, off the top of my head I can't think of anything that doesn't run, although I still play some games such as Carmageddon on the old PC as it has a 3DFX card in it.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X