Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clients stop communicating with Servers

Hi,

I have a tough problem going around a week in my network. Client PCs stop communicating with the servers. This is happening randomly. I am not able to ping with one server, but at the same time I can ping with another same network server. And one more thing, If I am not able to ping from one PC at the same time I can ping the same server with another PC. This is happening with different PCs.

I checked the servers ,switches, everything seems to be fine. I noticed that when the ping command not working if I remove the cable and plug it again it will start pinging. Also when ping not working I can tracert the server and it is positive and starts pinging. If I put the ping command continuously it is not getting disconnecting.

Very strange problem and I am not able to tackle. Please help if anybody gone through a similar case.

Thanks,

Manoj Krishnan

Re: Clients stop communicating with Servers

There's a lot of info not originally provided which would help us:
    *-When you unplug a cable and re-connect, is it to a PC which can't ping, or the server that the ping fails to?
    *-Are the client PCs in the same subnet as the servers, or is there routing involved?
    *-Are your clients using fixed addresses or DHCP leases? And how big is your address pool vs the count of clients?
    *-When 1 server can't be ping'd but another can, is it always the same server which fails? How many servers are involved?
    *-Before you pull a cable and re-connect, have you looked at the status of the switchport you want to pull the cable out of? Is it up/up, up/down, or what?
    *-Has there been any major changes like adding of new links to switches, or some other expansion of the network? Spanning-tree protocol could be a culprit, here.

A simple drawing with some more detail would be appreciated, to include address ranges, etc.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thans Rickles,

I found out the root cause. It was a malfunctioning or out dated Linksys accesspoint which was causing the problem. I took long time to identify this because this problem was happening randomly with different computers. When I got this problem continuously in my PC I monitored and power off the switches step by step and found that AP. Now I updated the firmware and reconfigured it and working fine since last 24 hours.

Many Thanks,
      Manoj Krishnan

Comment

Glad you found it! And thanks for letting us know what it was.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X