Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting and Controlling Win7 DVD\CD

Hello

I need to control windows7 desktops DVD\CD access by multiple staff, Server 2003 GPO and local Win7 GPEDIT has either all or nothing, however,

From the Windows 7 desktop:

- Windows 7 Explorer
    - Go to the DVD\CD
    - Right-Click Properties
    - “Sharing”
    - Advanced Sharing
    - “Share this”
    - Permissions
    - Add Domain (User1, User2, Etc) or create a Domain group “AllowWin7CD” and add user to this,
    - Remove default ‘Everyone’

Anyone see a security or problem with this? I know it is manually intense visiting each desktop,

B.

Re: Restricting and Controlling Win7 DVD\CD

Originally posted by b.15101r.14944a View Post
    Hello

I need to control windows7 desktops DVD\CD access by multiple staff, Server 2003 GPO and local Win7 GPEDIT has either all or nothing, however,

From the Windows 7 desktop:

- Windows 7 Explorer
    - Go to the DVD\CD
    - Right-Click Properties
    - “Sharing”
    - Advanced Sharing
    - “Share this”
    - Permissions
    - Add Domain (User1, User2, Etc) or create a Domain group “AllowWin7CD” and add user to this,
    - Remove default ‘Everyone’

Anyone see a security or problem with this? I know it is manually intense visiting each desktop,

B.
    Why not invest the money in an application that could do this for you?

Lumension Device Control is one that would do exactly this.

Comment

We looked into Lumension - it is not an American Company, so, I can't install on any secured network or government equipment, you should not either.

B.

Comment

We looked into Lumension - it is not an American Company, so, I can't install on any secured network or government equipment, you should not either.

B.
        I suspect that depends on what secured network, or government, you work for - certainly the UK GSI (government secure infrastructure) has no problem with equipment developed in other countries (including the USA, but also China), and I'm sure the Australians (check Wullie's profile) aren't too fussed either

If you had mentioned that restriction (and any others) in your original post, it would have perhaps saved someone posting a valid, but clearly inappropriate, reply
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What, the product lacks the mandatory NSA backdoors?

(I've read that companies outside the U.S. are increasingly shunning hardware and software from American vendors. I certainly do.)

Comment

Ok, so will this work, dfrom the win7 desktop share DVD then add rights?

Comment

B.
              What makes you think its not an American company??

Comment

Working...
              X