Security Essential couldn't scan you pc error 0x800106ba

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Essential couldn't scan you pc error 0x800106ba

Something unusual started on my Windows 7 days ago after installing/uninstalling some video editing programs (FREE software), but this might not be the cause of the problems.

Google and Outlook randomly not opening like there was no internet connection (Altavista opened), did Ping test and it resulted fine (4 sent and 4 received), how is that possible?

So I thought it was suspicious and tried a full computer scan with Microsoft Security Essential, left it do the job overnight but the day after I got the error message.
    I think there is something to do with Windows Defender (it was already switched off) and now it's set to only start manually.

What would be the cause of this strange behaviour?

Re: Security Essential couldn't scan you pc error 0x800106ba

Do you have any other antivirus installed on the computer?

Make sure that you do not have any other antivirus or security software installed on your computer.

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software. Follow the link given below for the removal tools.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/list-of-anti-malware-product-removal-tools/2bcb53f7-7ab4-4ef9-ab3a-6aebfa322f75

You can refer this link as well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-installation/e6e18776-9571-42e9-8fc0-66717dde0e19

Comment

Originally posted by VMware View Post
      Do you have any other antivirus installed on the computer?

Make sure that you do not have any other antivirus or security software installed on your computer.

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software. Follow the link given below for the removal tools.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/list-of-anti-malware-product-removal-tools/2bcb53f7-7ab4-4ef9-ab3a-6aebfa322f75

You can refer this link as well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-installation/e6e18776-9571-42e9-8fc0-66717dde0e19
      Only MSE and Defender nothing else, also ClamWin but that antivirus doesn't scan in real time, plus Malwarebytes.
      I did a full scan long time ago and had no problems with MSE.
      I believe there is a conflict with Windows Defender.

Thanks for links but I have never liked Microsoft's related wiki, just look at the options they give and too many, even I could make that wiki just make a list of tens of software programs.

As cleaners I use Your Uninstaller to uninstall programs then CrapCleaner and UnCleaner.

Comment

I would be inclined to uninstall MSE and all the other security software on your computer, then install just MSE and run a scan. You can re-install your other software after the scan has finished and test again in case there is a conflict.

I would also have a look at the list of programs installed and see if anything 'extra' has been dropped on your PC by one of these free software packages you recently installed.

When you install new software do you see prompts asking you if wish to allow xxx process to access xxx etc?

I would certainly install a competent security program that does a good job. MSE does not perform well in independent tests. Avira, Avast and Bullguard all perform well https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/test?id=190

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/R...Oct13-1200.jpg
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          I would be inclined to uninstall MSE and all the other security software on your computer, then install just MSE and run a scan. You can re-install your other software after the scan has finished and test again in case there is a conflict.

I would also have a look at the list of programs installed and see if anything 'extra' has been dropped on your PC by one of these free software packages you recently installed.

When you install new software do you see prompts asking you if wish to allow xxx process to access xxx etc?

I would certainly install a competent security program that does a good job. MSE does not perform well in independent tests. Avira, Avast and Bullguard all perform well https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/test?id=190

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/R...Oct13-1200.jpg
          I set Windows Defender to only start manually after that still had no chance to try again my luck with MSE, will do it tonight.
          I used to be ESET's big fan but it has became too much complicated for my like so I jumped off the bandwagon.
          And you're right I should choose another security program just I'm not sure which one also I'm tired of installing and uninstalling so I need to choose one leave it and stopping messing the computer.

The software I installed are all free packages such as VidCoder, Handbrake, BD Rebuilder etc. etc., none of these install rubbish without telling you, some even don't need installation.
          I'm quite aware of this issue so I always read the messages and check the thick boxes before installing anything.

So if I decide to uninstall MSE, that will be when I choose the next reliable antivirus package.

Comment

I use avira free antivirus for my home computer, really easy to use and never has caused me any issues, its not bad on resources either.
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
              I use avira free antivirus for my home computer, really easy to use and never has caused me any issues, its not bad on resources either.
              Anytime I need to choose a software I always check views count from a warez web site:

AVG Internet Security not free 97,000 views
              ESET Smart Security not free 70,000 views
              Kaspersky Internet Security not free 59,000 (I dislike it)
              Avira Antivirus free 48,000 views

Avira seems to be the most wanted free antivirus!

Comment

try this to fix 0800106ba

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Deleted by Blood
                  Last edited by Blood; 11th February 2014, 10:08.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    try this to fix 0800106ba

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849
                    Thanks for help,

however, again Microsoft has failed to find a solution for its product.
                    I knew that Defender is impossible to uninstall then look at that web page they give instruction on how to uninstall it but guess what I cannot see Defender in the list of the installed programs on my computer.

Comment

so, the FixIt didn't work ?
                      and you definitely set the service to automatic ?

Are you in a corporate environment where software is pushed out via GPO ?
                      have you run SFC /scannow ?
                      have you tried just installing MSE ? (since it's not in the list to add ?)
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

so, the FixIt didn't work ?
                        and you definitely set the service to automatic ?

Are you in a corporate environment where software is pushed out via GPO ?
                        have you run SFC /scannow ?
                        have you tried just installing MSE ? (since it's not in the list to add ?)
                        • I switched Defender off and set it to manual and since then I don't see the problem anymore, at least it seems like that. I might need to switch Defender to automatic so that I can see it in the list of installed application. For sure setting Defender off has apparently fixed the problem.
                        • No I'm not a Corporate and unfortunately I'm currently quite busy with studies so don't have much time to troubleshoot Windows, it seem working for now also I do have a 17" laptop as desktop replacement in case of emergency.
                        • I run sfc /verifyonly and found no problems: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
                        • I installed MSE 1 year ago soon after I reinstalled Windows 7 and it was working fine, I think I used it 2-3 times.

Comment

switching it back to automatic won't make it appear in add/remove programs

I'm glad that at least you've got a partial solution in disabling defender

Comment

switching it back to automatic won't make it appear in add/remove programs

I'm glad that at least you've got a partial solution in disabling defender
                            I'm thinking of buying another hard disk and install a fresh Windows and late on I replace the current one.
                            In this way I can still use the computer setup and switch to new hard disk from bios when I need to install more stuff.
                            I do this because installing Windows per se doesn't take much the problem came when it is time to install all the rest and make sure it works properly.

Thanks for help.

Comment

Adding another HDD should not be necessary.

Back to basics:
                              How much free space do you have on your hard drive.
                              Do you see any error messages? If so, what are they?
                              Have you checked your event logs (Application and System) for warnings and errors?
                              Is your copy of Windows up to date?

Although a lot of people are fans, it is not recommended to run registry cleaners unless you really, really understand what you are doing and understand the consequences of removing keys.

Did you uninstall the other security programs before trying MSE again?

Have you tried running MSE after a clean boot?

Comment

Working...
                              X