What keeps disconnecting this PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What keeps disconnecting this PC?

OK, I have an older laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise x64, SP1. This serves as my physical machine for my Citrix XenDesktop setup, although I'm fairly certain the problem isn't with Citrix.

I've check the advanced power settings and this thing isn't even supposed to go to sleep while it's plugged in and it's always plugged in. The NIC isn't set to shut off to conserve power and there's no screensaver. Yet, after a day or two, this thing loses its network connection completely and must be rebooted.

Anyone know of any other places to check within Windows that could explain this behavior?

Re: What keeps disconnecting this PC?

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
    OK, I have an older laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise x64, SP1. This serves as my physical machine for my Citrix XenDesktop setup, although I'm fairly certain the problem isn't with Citrix.

I've check the advanced power settings and this thing isn't even supposed to go to sleep while it's plugged in and it's always plugged in. The NIC isn't set to shut off to conserve power and there's no screensaver. Yet, after a day or two, this thing loses its network connection completely and must be rebooted.

Anyone know of any other places to check within Windows that could explain this behavior?
    Off the mark but how up to date are your NIC drivers?

We had an issue with a single machine that would drop the network randomly. Updated the NIC drivers and it all works fine now.

Comment

I concur that it could be a nic driver issue.
      Also check the firmware version of that NIC.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

NIC drivers were about 4 years old. Just installed a driver from October 2012 (latest I could find for Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller), so we'll see what happens. Usually takes a couple of days for me to lose connection, so we'll see what happens Monday.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Just installed a driver from October 2012 ... Usually takes a couple of days for me to lose connection, so we'll see what happens Monday.

keep us informed.

"October 2012" (latest I could find for Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller)
          btw Have you obtained the drivers from Windows Update, via the broadcom website http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethe...ine_driver.php, or from the support site of the computer manufacturer? (If I check the broadcom site aren't the latest drivers from 2013 for this NIC Device ID?)

/Rems
          Last edited by Rems; 10th January 2014, 16:07.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

You're right. I had to look up how to find out the ethernet chipset of the NIC, but once I did that, I found something from 11/13. When I first went to the Broadcom site, I got a bit confused, since there was nothing labelled "NetXtreme 57xx." It's been a while since I've done PC support.

I originally used the update feature from Device Manager and used Windows to search there, but it found nothing, even though the version of the driver I was using was 10.1 and the new version is 16.x.

Comment

After upgrading the drivers to the latest version, I haven't not been able to get to this machine. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

After upgrading the drivers to the latest version, I haven't not been able to get to this machine. Thanks for the tip!
                Excellent news.

Sometimes the easiest thing are the fix.

Comment

Working...
                X