Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MED-V (Enteprise Desktop Virtualization)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MED-V (Enteprise Desktop Virtualization)

Hi guys,

I'm currently struggling to disable MED-V from starting up automatically when my windows 7 host is started. Anyone has any ideas how to achieve this? The MED-V automatically starts up a virtual machine that sucks 4GB of the available ram and it takes forever to start it up and then to close it down.

I've tried editing the registry key start automatically in HKEY Local Machine Software -Microsoft - MEDv - v2> User Experience LogonStartEnabled > '0' ; No Go.

Furthermore I tried disabling the service from msconfig. This didn't do the trick either, the MED-v package (VM) is still started on computer start.

Help?!

Thank you in advance.
    Alex

Re: MED-V (Enteprise Desktop Virtualization)

Not an expert with this one but as far as I know, MED-V allows you to centralise the policy and VM rollout. Is there a policy you can change at the back end?

Comment

Well, I don't have access to the MED-V management console; I only have the laptop on which the MED-V runs, probably as you say deployed via a global policy. However I can't change the policy, I can only do something at the registry/msconfig/services level. Is there something I can do then?

Comment

Since (IIRC) it is just a variation on Virtual PC, you could try blocking/disabling that
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can configured the default workspace (as MED-V terminology calls it) and whether or not it lauches automatically via XML config doc.

Info here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...um=w7itprovirt

I did go through all this when I was studying for the 70-669 but it's fading.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you all for your reaction.
            I actually studied the link listed below but it was useless because there is no such folder MED-V in %LOCALAPPDATA%. Anyways, a temp solution, killed the virtual pc and renamed the virtual machine file and the virtual hard disk. That should've solved it for good

Comment

Glad to hear. Just through interest, did you use MDOP to install MED-V? I was wondering if you are not actually using MED-V, only the Windows 7 feature for Virtual PC. MED-V allows you to centralise the rollout and policy to a considerable number of PCs.

Comment

MED-V also allows for the packaging of workspaces to be deployed to unmaged computers. So centralized policies aren't always in play.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X