Slow Login when not connected to domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Login when not connected to domain

Hi, I know this topic has lots of google hits and I have been reading them for the last 2 days but NONE of them have come up with a solution that works for me so I'm gonna ask you lot to see if I get any fresh ideas!

Issue;
    Windows 7 Professional Laptop, connected to 2003 domain. Has no GPO's assigned, no HomeDrive assigned and no login script. Has 4 mapped drives though. Works perfectly when connected to domain via LAN.

My issue arrises when I take the laptop off the LAN and the member of staff wants to use it from home.
    They switch on the laptop, which has been connected to their home Wifi link. It gives them the Windows Login screen and they then input their domain credentials, now we see the "welcome" screen for about 25-30 seconds, whilst in the backgroud it attempts to connect the mapped drives. Just seems to take FOREVER when they are waiting for it and its being complained about from everyone that has a laptop. If I disconnect the mapped drives it logs in instantly so its definitely the drive mappings causing the problem.

Solutions which ARE NOT suitable...
    1) Not having the laptop on the domain - not happening i'm afraid.
    2) Having the mapped drives connect via a batch file inserted into the startup folder (this can't happen as when we aren't on the network the batch file will fail to connect the mapped drives - again after about a 30 second wait!! Then when they want to actually use the mapped drives once they have connected their VPN the mapped drives won't be there without them having to re-run the batch file)
    3)Using UNC paths instead of mapped drives (cannot use this option as they have nested excel spreadsheets with links which point to drive letters...)

Ideally all I want is for Windows to only try to connect the mapped drives for a few seconds and if it fails just timeout quicker rather than the users having to wait 25 seconds at the "Welcome" scree for their desktop to appear. Surely thats a possibility, as the users aren't the most IT literate people in the world so its got to work just as well at home (once the VPN is connected) as it does when they are at their desk in the office.

Please help i'm going out of my mind here tried about a billion registry changes but nothing seems to speed up the process of realising the server isnt accessible for the mapped drives...?

Mark

Re: Slow Login when not connected to domain

Simple solution: use hibernate instead of shutdown when moving from home to work and back
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,
      Thanks for the reply, however these users spend about 3 weeks away from the office then 1 week at the office, then maybe 2 months away then a month at the office. So hibernating doesn't actually log them off at all which is a massive security flaw. I need them to be able to properly log-off.
      Mark

Comment

Is there not a "require password to resume from hibernation" option which is effectively the same as logging back on?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, I can't verify this but changing this reg key should do it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\NetworkProvider\
          Set or create a DWORD
          RestoreConnection = 0

http://blog.realtech.com/boot-up-windows-7-the-secrets/
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

do they restore from hibernation or they power on computers?

Comment

A really simple solution might be to just connect to VPN before logging in. If the VPN is properly configured, an icon should appear at login in the bottom right corner of the welcome screen, by the power button. That way the drives can successfully map. The VPN will need to be set to allow other people to use this connection.

You could also look into triggered VPN connections in Windows 8.1 which could automate the VPN connection upon request of the mapped drives.

Brandon
              Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
              The Springboard Series on TechNet

Comment

Originally posted by WinOutreach2 View Post
                You could also look into triggered VPN connections in Windows 8.1 which could automate the VPN connection upon request of the mapped drives.
                Its a pity the OP is using Windows 7, then

Appreciate your job is to push MS tech, but please don't force them to upgrade from a perfectly good OS.....
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Assuming Windows is being used as VPN termination. What's wrong with CMAK and using a (kinda login) script to map drives when the VPN connection has been established?

http://technet.microsoft.com/library...(v=ws.10).aspx
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                  X