No announcement yet.

The Group Policy Client Service Failed the Logon

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Group Policy Client Service Failed the Logon

This is driving me crazy, so far two workstations have this problem, both are running Windows 7. A domain user logs on and gets the error:

"The Group Policy Client Service Failed the logon. Access is denied."
    then you have to click ok, it says logging off and you're back to the cntrl-alt-del screen. If you log on with the wrong password you get the typical wrong password error and if you use the same domain account on another workstation you log in fine.

If I log on to the machine using any account local or domain that is not an administrator I get this error, but if I use the local or domain admin account I can log in. Even though I use an account that is in the local administrators group and the domain admins group I cannot log in.

I have tried removing the machines from the domain and adding them back.
    I have tried removing the user profiles, I have tried deleting the default profile, copying the default profile from a machine that is working and none of these things have helped. I also ran sfc /scannow as well as scan disk and startup repair and these did not help either. Then I did what they suggest here by editing the registry and still this did not help either:

I disabled and removed anti-virus to make sure it was not causing a problem. Any other ideas besides reinstall the OS?

Re: The Group Policy Client Service Failed the Logon

Did you follow the steps as laid out in the YouTube link about halfway down the page your link points to? If not, it's 8 minutes long and worth a look. It isn't in any way related to the manual reg edits mentioned earlier in that blog.

One of the last steps in the video is to check whether the GP client service is even starting. Since you can log in as the local admin, what do you see in Computer Management for service status, or Event log entries? If the service is starting, then the DLLs would appear to be in place and intact, so it may be deeper. But there should be something posted in the event logs.

Silly question: is the system clock less than 5 minutes out of sync with the time on your PDC? It's easy to overlook, and will bite you.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

I did try that and I couldn't get it to work. I even created a new local user account on the machine and I could not log in using it so I just wiped the machine out and reinstalled everything.

Thanks for your help.

Were you using Roaming Profiles?
        Departed: 23rd December 2015