Windows 7 (XP Mode)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 (XP Mode)

Hii guys, got a problem with a user who has windows 7, have shared a folder on the c drive and when there in xp mode they cannot access it. Its setup to access through a shortcut, \\server\folder. The folder is shared with the relevant permissions, the user said it has been working for months, when they try and access it the error says about the drive not being available etc but it def is. Anyone got any ideas, the only thing that is diff is that the shortcut on the xp mode. My colleague setup it up and for some reason the shortcut address starts \\tsclient\print My colleague set this up months ago and has no idea why it says tsclient in the shortcut, I have tried changed to \\computername\share but still no joy, is there anything special about being in xp mode and accessing the windows 7 share

Folder is shared
    Relevant permissions
    File sharing turned on
    Firewall not blocking it

Re: Windows 7 (XP Mode)

Can you ping the computer hosting the share?
    What if you create another share, does that work?
    Does it work from another machine?
    Can both machines access the network/internet?
    Did another admin relocate the share to tsclient?
    Reboot perhaps.
    Here is a link with some other things to try.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-9eba01de956b
    Last edited by uk_network; 18th September 2013, 23:28.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Sorry if I didnt make it clear, window 7 and xp mode are on the one machine, so the share is on that 1 machine. They just used xp mode to print certain stuff.

Comment

Which machine is the share on - the Win7 or the XP (treat them as two separate machines)

Does the XP virtual machine get online?

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from both of them?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The share is on the Win 7 machine which is also the xp mode machine, I have tried the \\server\share name but says the disk was unavailable and some other guff. Its rather strange.

Comment

I would be tempted to do a system restore to when it worked ok.
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

hmm, not convinced a system restore would work, I'll check with user tomorrow as I never heard back from them today.

Comment

The share is either on the Windows 7 machine or on the XP Virtual machine. Which is it?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As prev stated the share is on the win 7 os

Comment

Thank you - it was not clear previously: "share is on the Win 7 machine which is also the xp mode machine"

Is networking configured on the XP machine? if so, and if it can see the host (Win7) machine, the best way of printing from the guest is to connect to \\hostname\sharedprinter. If networking is not configured, you should check out this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q302361
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Lets start with some of the basics first shall we.

Can you ping the Win 7 system from XPMode?

Can you ping XPMode from the Win 7 system?

Does the Win 7 system have a user account that is the same as the XPMode system?

I've just fired up an XPMode machine on my Win 7 box and tested it as MS implement it and it doesn't work. I changed the netowrk card on the XPmode system to use the same network card i use on teh Win 7 box and i was then able to ping and communicate with the Win 7 system and access the share.

Comment

User was busy today but will try some of the stuff next week, I did try and access the share from the xp machine using \\server\share and it wouldnt work, no firewall etc on.

Comment

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from both machines (XP and 7)
                          Can you reach the share from elsewhere on your LAN?
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Working...
                          X