Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing to an XP printer

Hi,

Any of you guys had success printing to a printer that's shared on a XP (32bit) via a LPT port from a Windows 7 x64 machine?

Whatever I try with the correct driver, it just fails to install. It's a HP printer and the only drivers available are the HP UPD set of drivers.
    Regards,

Lee

Re: Printing to an XP printer

Pretty sure XP doesn't support adding x64 drivers on the printer share, so if using the HP UPD doesn't work by entering the printer share name and connecting to it (install the UPD in dynamic mode and then point it to the printer share as \\pc\printer), you'll probably need to buy a JetDirect or something similar.

We have this problem on occasion with clients who use old Epson dot matrix printers for doing invoices, wage slips etc. Most of them are Parallel port only and not everyone has a PC old enough to share it from.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      Pretty sure XP doesn't support adding x64 drivers on the printer share, so if using the HP UPD doesn't work by entering the printer share name and connecting to it (install the UPD in dynamic mode and then point it to the printer share as \\pc\printer), you'll probably need to buy a JetDirect or something similar.

We have this problem on occasion with clients who use old Epson dot matrix printers for doing invoices, wage slips etc. Most of them are Parallel port only and not everyone has a PC old enough to share it from.
      Nope - it doesn't support it - it's a 32bit OS invented well before x64 was mainstream.

Tried UPD in dynamic mode - didn't like it - may have been because the share name had spaces in it, although I didn't test that theory.

I'm about to have the same issue next week, so how did you get around the problem with an old parallel port printer? USB to parallel converter to connect to Windows 7? Then you have the small issue of a driver....
      Regards,

Lee

Comment

So long as there is a compatible driver for Windows 7, we've used a JetDirect or similar device to put the printer on the network and then pointed the PC to the printer via IP address.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You might want to have a look at this link I found thru . I did something similar with a family member's setup (USB HP printer on XP shared for a Win7 laptop). The automatic detection, etc., didn't work, but if you manually install the driver on the Win7 machine (select connect later if it asks), and then follow the steps from the link above, you should be OK.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Missing link....
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The missing link (oops!!):
              http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/xp...inter-sharing/

Sorry!!
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X