MSI installation: almost, but not quite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI installation: almost, but not quite

Not sure where this topic should be, but since I'm installing it on a Windows 7 machine, this is as good a place as any.

I'm attempting to launch a MSI via the command line: msiexec /i blahblah.msi. Fairly straight-forward installation. However, it seems to go through the motions, including putting the files in whatever directory I specify (INSTALLDIR=). One of the last steps it takes is to open up a box that says "Connecting to server...", at which point it should put an icon in the system tray. Well, it doesn't do that, and when that pop-up goes away, the files are then removed from the directory that was created during installation followed by the directory itself. After that, everything is gone, Windows reports that the installation was successful in the event logs (see below) and the msiexec.exe process is still running.

Event ID: 11707 - Product:....-- Installation completed successfully.

Event ID: 1033 - Windows Installer installed the product.....Installation success or error status: 0.

Now, I bet your inclined to believe there is a problem with the MSI itself. I was too, but about 1 out of 5 attempts it succeeds. Windows Firewall is off, UAC is nil and there's no AV running (it's a snapshotted VM). Any ideas?

Re: MSI installation: almost, but not quite

What is the success rate when installed on other Windows 7 machines?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

It's about the same. I'm trying it on a VMware VM, a Citrix XenDesktop VM and a physical box, all running Windows 7 64-bit.

Comment

Thanks.

What sort of program are you trying to install? Is there a scenario where it might install, run then exit if certain conditions are met?

Comment

Specifically it is a Jump Client (JC) for a Bomgar box. Normally users go to a web page to initiate remote support sessions with IT personnel. However, if you install a JC on a machine, the IT guy can initiate a remote session from the console. The JC should remain in the system tray until it is manually removed or you can set an expiration date for it.

This just in: the 32-bit flavor of the JC (I've been testing the 64-bit model) successfully installs consistently on the 64-bit machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
            This just in: the 32-bit flavor of the JC (I've been testing the 64-bit model) successfully installs consistently on the 64-bit machines.
            Cool - so are you happy using that?

Comment

No, but I discovered the problem. It was absence-of-mind on my part. There is a long key that must be included in the command line during installation, and my key was off. Long story.

Thank you for your time that I wasted.

Comment

Haha

Well, at least you got it sorted out

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax
                  Thank you for your time that I wasted
                  The time was most certainly NOT wasted. Rather it was valuable experience GAINED and you shared that with the rest of the Petri Community; for that, we THANK YOU! Click image for larger version

Name:	ole0.gif
Views:	3
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	466746
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X