Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path is too long "MAX_Path"

Hi,

I am using windows 2003 server as file server. my users are unable to create/copy files/folders in shared drive. The error message is "Path is too long" / Unable to create the "Folder" The specified path is invalid" . Could you please tell me how can i increase UNC path limitation.?

Regards,

AB

Re: Path is too long "MAX_Path"

Originally posted by AB Mughal View Post
    Hi,

I am using windows 2003 server as file server. my users are unable to create/copy files/folders in shared drive. The error message is "Path is too long" / Unable to create the "Folder" The specified path is invalid" . Could you please tell me how can i increase UNC path limitation.?

Regards,

AB
    Reduce the path to the 256 char limit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177665

Comment

I had this issue before and just created a new share directly to the folder i was trying to copy stuff to, this got around the limitation.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Two other methods for accessing:
        - map a drive to a folder lower in the share hierarchy
        - use the \\?\ prefix to the path. e.g. \\?\server\share\long_path_name

More info on the second method: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...47(VS.85).aspx

I should also note that some utilities, like robocopy, are not limited by the 256 character limit because of the way they reference the namespace.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X