No announcement yet.

In place upgrade to windows 7 pro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In place upgrade to windows 7 pro

HI guys

I have a client computer (win xp pro) joined to a 2008 domain and would like to do a in place upgrade of the xp to windows 7 pro.

The question: Will windows require me to rejoin the pc back onto the domain or will it keep the domain setting.

What are best practises? Unplug the network cable in the upgrade process or any such thing..?

thanks so much for the feedback

best regards

Re: In place upgrade to windows 7 pro

Presumably you are upgrading 32bit to 32bit as 32 to 64bit will require a full reinstall?

IMHO, unless you have software you absolutely MUST run and cannot reinstall, you should go for a clean install every time. There are enough major changes that the chance of something breaking is pretty much 100% Also remember you have XPMode available, so could implement your current XP system as a VM (ignoring any possible licensing issues)

To answer your actual question -- it should remain in the domain, and AFAIK there is no need to unplug any cables.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: In place upgrade to windows 7 pro

Hi Ossian

I had some time to reflect on my action plan and also came to the same conclusion. A fresh install is always better than upgrade. We all know Murphy's law.

But thanks for the advise. As always, quality advise that I get from you.
      Many thanks