Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 - Server Backups

Hello Everyone,

I have a small system with currently 4 Servers.

1) Domain Controller - Server 2003
    2) Web Server - Server 2003 - Web
    3) File Server - Server 2003 - This is where my Backup Exec 2010 is located.
    4) Rip Server(Printing industry) - Windows XP

I am replacing my File Server. The new file server is going to run Windows 7. My issue is that Backup Exec 2010(and the upgrade - 2012) will not run on Windows 7.

I am looking for an alternative to Backup exec 2012. One that can run on Windows 7 and will backup drives from other servers.

I do not want to place my backup software on my DC nor my Web server.

Any and all advice/opinions are appreciated.

Thank you,
    Standard

Re: Windows 7 - Server Backups

Windows 7 is not repeat NOT a server operating system and, IMHO, using it as one is a false economy. For example, you will be restricted to 10 concurrent sessions only.

AFAIK there are no products that will meet your requirements -- there is software to backup Win7 but not drives on other servers. Since you have already bought BUExec (and - again IMHO - 2010R3 is far superior to 2012) you should consider buying Server 2008R2 Standard as the OS.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you Ossian,

I agree with you. I am wondering how dangerous you think it will be. We don't have a choice of the OS for the new file server. That requires Windows 7.

We have not purchased any new backup software.

Will I be able to install a backup software onto the computer?
      Will I be able to backup my 4-5 Servers?

I am trying to avoid re-purposing my old File server as a server used solely for backups.

Thanks
      Standard

Comment

Why do you require Windows 7 -- as I said, this is a desktop operating system, not one for servers
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The new file server is also replacing the Ripping server with XP on it. We get the computer from the Ripping software company. They told us it will be coming with windows 7 on it.

I understand your distaste towards the backups on that box. I am merely trying to see if it is possible.

We are going to be replacing our Web server in the months to come as well. I plan on backing up from this server, but until then I need somewhere to run them. The Web server is old and nothing more than a PC, so I want to keep away from putting more responsibility on that server.

Thank you so much for your quick replies, its appreciated and helping me think this through.

Standard

Comment

OK, if you are stuck with it....

I would avoid using the word "server" -- "workstation" might be better

The only solution I can think of is
            Backup from proper servers to a share on the workstation using NTBackup/WSB
            Use Windows Backup on the workstation (or a thirdparty desktop backup product) to backup to external media
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X