Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install packages

Hi all,

I spend a lot of time when preparing a new laptop for a user not because of the windows install but because of the required applications to install ex. Winrar and pdf creator and so in .

Can you please recommend a tool that could be used to automate the installation of these small applications every time i need ?

Thanks

M Farag

Re: Install packages

Depending on your infrastructure and the number of computers to configure, you could consider (in no particular order of preference):
    Group Policy installation of MSI files
    Imaged reference machines deployed with WDS
    SCCM (or equivalent such as Xen)
    Let the user do it themselves (i.e. local admin permissions)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

o.k , i agree with you that i could use one of these options .... although i have SCCM an group policy but they are off site and due to that they consume a lot of time to response to user requests or to publish advertisments.

so i still prefare if i have a stand a lone tool that i only configure to do this job, the same as the WDS but i don't want windows in the scope .

i tried many times to google this tool but couldn't find anything

Comment

for the local admin solution , i'm afraid that users may use it to install unlicensed applications and they put me in troubles .

Thanks

Comment

Most installs are scriptable (or at least have a command line option) so with a bit of work you might be able to write something that does several installs in one operation.

A very quick session with suggests there are ways of installing multiple apps in one go, but I have not tried any myself:
          http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=too...w=1498&bih=757

EDIT: this looks as if it fits the bill: http://www.ghacks.net/2009/11/20/ins...ith-allmyapps/
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X