Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy shared folders keep shared status

Hi All

I wish to copy my shared folders to another computer for redundancy and I wish for the shared state of the folder and its ntfs permissions, acl etc. to be preserved or an alternative solution.

I have tried robocopy and researched other ways but cant get the full solution.

Nearest I can get is using allwaysync which can copy over all the ntfs permission and group state under certain circumstances.

I notice that the share name is missing from the shared folder which means people wont be able to access it. Im aware that having 2 shared folders both with the same name should not be possible.

I have restored a disk image of our data drive and I thought that a disk image would have the exact same share name etc. but even after a partition image restore the share names were gone and again the ntfs groups and permissions were available.

I need the shared state and name to be available.

Thanks for reading

Re: Copy shared folders keep shared status

Information about Shares in stored in the registry, not in the folders themselves (AFAIK). You need to export and import the Shares from the registry or you need to use something like DFS. It is possible to share two folders with the same name if those shares are on different servers.

Comment

I see. I know I can have 2 shares at the same time on 2 servers but can they have the same share name so that it is used instead for a failover situation should the 1st shared folder go down/get deleted.

I see that I can have 2 shares with identical names almost e.g. \\server1\shared-docs \\server2\shared-docs

This would mean if server1 failed all the drive mappings would no longer work. Im looking for an automatic solution or a solution. e.g. Maybe we will need to use a file server separate from our domain controllers and put in a request for the hardware and software etc. but small business low budget means 2 DC's are also the file servers and if 1 goes down we dont have automatic failover for the shares.

DFS was on our network but it caused a disaster so we are no longer using it.

Thanks
      Last edited by confuseis; 21st July 2013, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by confuseis View Post
        I see that I can have 2 shares with identical names almost e.g. \\server1\shared-docs \\server2\shared-docs

This would mean if server1 failed all the drive mappings would no longer work. Im looking for an automatic solution or a solution.
        DFS is the solution you're looking for, as a DFS path can point to shared folders on one or more servers. The DFS root/namespace itself can be hosted on multiple servers as well.

DFS was on our network but it caused a disaster so we are no longer using it.
        I'm unaware of any scenario where DFS would cause a "disaster". Could you elaborate?

Comment

It was implemented by a former employee just before they left.

It was running on the servers c:\ partition which rapidly filled up and then all the staffs files dissapeared and we had all of the folders with just 4MB of files in each. The joy spread to our other 2 domain controllers and the same happened there files went missing and exactly 4MB of data left in each folder.

The backup program was backing up the virtual folders which were empty.

Even the dfsroot folder was empty. After we restored from secondary backup created much longer ago we found staff complaining there recent files were still missing even after the restore as the drive mappings were set to companyname.local\dfs and they were saving in this which was then empty.

This was a horrible mess and I had dubbed DFS "disaster for sure". When looking to remove this feature.role it was unavailable and I found no straight forward answers online.

Of course I would have liked to learn how it works etc. but I was too busy cleaning up the mess and restoring our companies IT structure.

Comment

DFS is the solution you need. Don't let the fact that it was previously implemented poorly or incorrectly influence your opinion of it. The only way I know of to do what you need to do is with DFS.

Comment

I would agree DFS, if properly set up, will do the job very nicely.

Remove all traces of your former employee's handywork, then start from scratch, preferably with 2008R2 servers
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm Hearing this. Ill look over DFS when I have time.

I'm guessing it puts the files in a root folder that it replicates to each domain controller.

I think its dangerous if the other staff don't know its implemented and if its implemented on the c:\ partition which was not big enough to hold the contents of the data partition.

It should however never go rogue and start deleting people's data from all the DC's & all the companies data was gone so I have serious trust issues. This could cost me my job and cripple my company after all. Ill google for similar issues to see if what happened was rare or another factor was responsible.

I have been looking at a way to export the shared folder associated reg files from the source server & import them to the destination server to receive the shares and ill run that in a lab and report.

Thanks

Confuseis

Comment

DFS has two components -- a DFS root (which can be on the DC) holding links (and should only be links) to DFS folder targets, and the folder targets themselves, which hold the content and ideally should not be on a DC but live on a file server.

It sounds as if the previous admin set up the root and let users add content to it -- a big no-no!

Review some of the tutorial links here: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=DFS...KMaM0AXyw4CIDg

As a test, I suggest you set up DFS and add you Admin Share (what ever you call it, you are bound to have one ) and practice setting up/managing replication. Once you are comfortable with it, add the business related shares.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Perhaps not necessary but I will add my vote to DFS. We've been using it for several years and it is great. It sounds as though it was not properly setup in your organisation.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Ill run this in a lab & see how it goes

thanks

Comment

This could cost me my job and cripple my company after all.
                        Also keep in mind, this is an opportunity for you to engineer a solid, scalable solution for you company which can increase your esteem and the companies bottom line.

Dont be afraid of DFS because someone before you didnt engineer it properly. As with all services, you can't just install the role and expect it to run without problems... Sit down with some technical docs and learn how it works, then start designing an implementation that fits your companies needs, is manageable and scalable. Dont forget instrumentation. I would imagine if you had instrumentation built into the first attempt, you would have caught it before it failed... Powershell, WMI and performance counters are your friend.
                        Rules of life:
                        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
                        2. Simplicity is godliness
                        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Working...
                        X