Folder Icons Showing Image Contents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Icons Showing Image Contents

I presently have folder icons which show a standing, partially opened folder with the first two images in the folder appearing as pages in the folder (so you only see a small part of the images). But I recall having had in the past a flat, closed folder icon with he first 4 images of the folder showing on the front of the folder. Is the standing, partially opened folder a Windows 7 default or is it something I did (perhaps with a third party app?)? I would like to get the old icon back with the flat, closed folder so I can see better what is inside without having to open the folder. Could it be that I am remembering the way it was in XP?

Thanks for any advice!

Janet

Re: Folder Icons Showing Image Contents

Originally posted by janetb View Post
    I presently have folder icons which show a standing, partially opened folder with the first two images in the folder appearing as pages in the folder (so you only see a small part of the images). But I recall having had in the past a flat, closed folder icon with he first 4 images of the folder showing on the front of the folder. Is the standing, partially opened folder a Windows 7 default or is it something I did (perhaps with a third party app?)? I would like to get the old icon back with the flat, closed folder so I can see better what is inside without having to open the folder. Could it be that I am remembering the way it was in XP?

Thanks for any advice!

Janet
    Try changing the view that you use to achieve the desired folder look.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Try changing the view that you use to achieve the desired folder look.
      Am referring only to icons used as thumbnails in large thumbnail view.

Comment

I'm not on a Win7 PC at present, but does setting the type of data the folder holds change the icon view (music, images, data, video)? Can't remember how to do it at the moment...
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by janetb View Post
          Am referring only to icons used as thumbnails in large thumbnail view.
          There is no such thing as large thumbnail view.

From the reading I've been doing it is not possible to get the XP folder look on a Windows 7 machine.

Please see

http://www.sevenforums.com/customiza...lder-view.html

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            There is no such thing as large thumbnail view.
            Yes, like the guy in your link, I meant View>Large icons. I also wanted to see the four photos clearly on the flat folder icon to quickly see what's in the folder.

Comment

Is it just a question of disabling Aero?
              http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-39caad9092b8
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Is it just a question of disabling Aero?
                I didn't think it was related to Aero (?). Other threads I've seen think the 4-images-in-flat-folder icon is an XP thing that changed to the standing folder in XP/Vista. Are you able to get this feature in Windows 7 (by disabling Aero)??

Comment

Not got any Win7 machines nearby to test -- it was just a thought

If it was changed from XP to Vista, why do you expect it to have changed back in Win7?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    If it was changed from XP to Vista, why do you expect it to have changed back in Win7?
                    I have no idea if it was changed in either Vista or Windows 7. This is what I am trying to found out........Most people posting on this subject on other threads/forums were, like yourself, just guessing. So I still don't know whether the feature was actually removed or whether it still is accessible in Win 7 by some setting.

Comment

tbh, life is too short, and I have enough better things to do with it, to worry about a folder icon (especially since I live in detail view by default), but I look forward to hearing if you do ever find a definitive answer

EDIT -- despite the above, a short strongly suggests the only solution involves fdisk and the XP installation media
                      First few links here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wi...pbx=1&bav=on.2
                      Note there do not seem to be any authoritative answers from MS, but if people have been asking in vain for 2-3 years, the chance of a hidden setting is pretty much zero.
                      Last edited by Ossian; 10th June 2013, 16:56.
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

It does not revert back to the XP style when Aero is disabled.

Comment

Working...
                        X