Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple threads for same PID on startup...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple threads for same PID on startup...

So, I'm trying to figure out why my HD spins for almost 20 minutes on startup. A look at resource monitor shows a ton of I/O operations for this single PID, which I think might be pre-fetch.

Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks!

W7, 64-bit, 16GB, 3.09 Xeon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shmengie; 21st May 2013, 15:45.

Re: Multiple threads for same PID on startup...

Hello.
    You can click start > run > msconfig, choose the startup tab and disable all processes you don't need to run at startup. This will help speed up your system.
    Also a screenshot of your findings so far would help the community to assist with the diagnosis of your issue.
    It could be that your computer is running some kind of scan, av/malware.
    Also if windows is left to go idle then the automatic defrag will or should kick in.
    Trusty taskmanager and resource monitor should help you narrow down the cause, and any that your not sure about you can right click and choose search online. (see attached picture)
    There is also a blckviper website which will show you services that don't need to be enabled to further tweak your system.
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Files
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Looks like it's due to system restore, take a look here:

http://windows7themes.net/system-vol...-activity.html
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Thanks for the tips, uk. There is a screenshot, showing that it's system volume. System restore, huh? That sounds weird, doesn't it? I suppose it could be writing restore files at startup, but that doesn't sound likely. And it's certainly not restoring my system on startup.

I'll check msconfig and see if anything jumps out at me.

Thanks.

Comment

You wouldn't think system restore runs at system startup but I have evidence here that suggests otherwise.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

And it also says how to disable it too.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Holy crap! Indeed, system restore is set to run at every system startup. WTF MS???

Thanks for pointing me to that; let's see how my startups behave going forward.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X