Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why unable to connect localhost via telnet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why unable to connect localhost via telnet?

I am Unable to connect localhost (127.0.0.1 / 192.168.1.2) Port 80 Using telnet.

Connecting To 127.0.0.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port [80]: Connect failed

Microsoft Telnet> o 192.168.1.2 [80]
    Connecting To 192.168.1.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port [80]:
    Connect failed
    My IPv4 addrerss: 192.168.1.2

My External IP address dynamic via No-IP: 117.194.224.111

My router IP address: 192.168.1.1

I already Forward My Port to

Protocol: TCP

External Port: 80

Internal IP: 192.168.1.2

Internal Port: 80

When I try to connect using telnet: o 117.194.224.111 [80] it is connect to my router IP 192.168.1.1 : 80 but it should be 192.168.1.2 : 80

My OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and already define a inbound rule to open port 80

Please help me what to do ?

Re: Why unable to connect localhost via telnet?

Can you telnet to another port -- IIRC the telnet SERVER (as opposed to client) is not enabled by default and must be turned on as a windows feature
    (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...windows-7.aspx - I know it talks about client but also shows where to enable server)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Can you telnet to another port -- IIRC the telnet SERVER (as opposed to client) is not enabled by default and must be turned on as a windows feature
      (see url .... - I know it talks about client but also shows where to enable server)
      I already install telnet SERVER. What is the default server name in windows 7 ?

how to connect to telnet server from telnet ?

Comment

When I last had an issue like this it was windows firewall blocking the inbound connection. You can disable the windows firewall service to rule it out.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by radcorpindia View Post
          I already install telnet SERVER. What is the default server name in windows 7 ?

how to connect to telnet server from telnet ?
          There are two telnet components -- server and client
          The cmd prompt tool is the client
          The server is a service

To connect from the client (telnet command) to a server you launch a command prompt and type "telnet <server name or ip> <port number>
          The server name is the PC name

How did you install telnet server?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
            When I last had an issue like this it was windows firewall blocking the inbound connection. You can disable the windows firewall service to rule it out.
            I try With Windows Firewall On / OFF . But nothing work

Code:
            Microsoft Telnet> o 127.0.0.l [80]
            Connecting To 127.0.0.l...Could not open connection to the host, on port [80]: C
            onnect failed
            Code:
            Connecting To 192.168.1.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port [80]:
             Connect failed
            I disable Anti Virus Firewall (AVG & MS Security Essentials). But nothing work.

Comment

There are two telnet components -- server and client
              The cmd prompt tool is the client
              The server is a service

To connect from the client (telnet command) to a server you launch a command prompt and type "telnet <server name or ip> <port number>
              The server name is the PC name

How did you install telnet server?
              I install Telnet server from Windows Features, And run it Manually from Services. Now I got bellow response.

Code:
              Connecting To 192.168.1.2...
              You are about to send your password information to a remote computer in Interne
               zone. This might not be safe. Do you want to send anyway(y/n): y

Access Denied: Specified user is not a member of TelnetClients group.
              Server administrator must add this user to the above group.

Telnet Server has closed the connection

Connection to host lost.

Press any key to continue...
              I resolve the above Error to add My current user to TelnetClients group. Now I am able to connect my localhost using Telnet

Code:
              Connecting To 192.168.1.2...
              You are about to send your password information to a remote computer in Internet
               zone. This might not be safe. Do you want to send anyway(y/n): y

then it is asking for my system password. After that

*===============================================================
              Microsoft Telnet Server.
              *===============================================================
              C:\Users\Shubhajyoti>
              But still I unable to connect using telnet: o 117.194.224.111 [80] it is connect to my router IP 192.168.1.1 : 80 . instated of localhost

that means problem still persists.
              Last edited by radcorpindia; 14th May 2013, 20:49.

Comment

Ah... so the server wasn't installed...

Presumably you have added your user account to the group you are told to?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Ah... so the server wasn't installed...

Presumably you have added your user account to the group you are told to?
                  What is the name of the telnet Server , which is running as a service ?

from my service I Run manual Telnet (C:\Windows\System32\tlntsvr.exe). Becuase as you already described "The server is a service"

To grant permission for Telnet users to access your Telnet server, Add users to the TelnetClients group*. After the TelnetClients group is created, you can add members to it. Any member of this group can access the Telnet Server service. The tasks they can perform while connected using Telnet depends on the permissions and rights granted to the user account on the server computer and the resources it hosts.

Description: Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped, remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
                  Last edited by radcorpindia; 14th May 2013, 21:03.

Comment

ok, just so we're clear here.

Are you trying to run Telnet Server on port 80, or are you trying to run a web server on port 80 ?
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                      ok, just so we're clear here.

Are you trying to run Telnet Server on port 80, or are you trying to run a web server on port 80 ?
                      I am running IIS as web-server on port 80, and try to access IIS via my Remote / External IP address provide by No-IP (a dynamic DNS service resolved Dynamic Remote address via a host name, in my case. My host name is: itdevelopment.zapto.org)

My current External IP address via No-IP: 117.194.242.12

My router IP address: 192.168.1.1

I already Forward My Port to

Protocol: TCP

External Port: 80

Internal IP (IPv4): 192.168.1.2

Internal Port: 80

When I try to connect using Telnet: o 117.194.242.12 [80] it is connect to my router IP 192.168.1.1 : 80 but it should be 192.168.1.2 : 80 (as I assumed, because of my port forward rule)

My OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and already define a inbound rule to open port 80
                      Last edited by radcorpindia; 15th May 2013, 08:56. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                      X