Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libraries button on task bar cannot be removed by standard means

I do not use Libraries at all.

A Libraries button has suddenly appeared on my task bar and cannot be removed by standard means. If I r-click, on the button, there is no Unpin, Remove, or Delete option. Same is true for r-click on Libraries folder in Win Explorer. Also, Libraries folder is NOT listed in C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar!

How can I get rid of the Libraries button from my task bar??

Janet

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Re: Libraries button on task bar cannot be removed by standard means

Originally posted by janetb View Post
    I do not use Libraries at all.
    Yes you do. Libraries is an inbuilt feature of Windows 7. You may not browse through them but you do use them.

A Libraries button has suddenly appeared on my task bar and cannot be removed by standard means. If I r-click, on the button, there is no Unpin, Remove, or Delete option. Same is true for r-click on Libraries folder in Win Explorer. Also, Libraries folder is NOT listed in C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar!

How can I get rid of the Libraries button from my task bar??

Janet

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Can you please post some screenshots of what you mean. I've tried to pin a library to the task bar on my system and been unable to. It pins it beneath the Explorer icon.

Comment

Is this by any chance the Explorer button which opens into libraries?
      If it is, you can change the default folder: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-target.html
      (Note that took about 10 seconds on to find)

If you are talking about something else, please (as requested) post screen shots.

And if you really do not use libraries, please do try them -- you may be pleasantly surprised
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Yes you do. Libraries is an inbuilt feature of Windows 7. You may not browse through them but you do use them.
        Given that all my Libraries are totally empty i.e., no files in them, I would say that I don't use my Libraries........

The only use for Libraries is if you don't know where you put things, it helps you to locate them. I have a very detailed filing system set up according to my own head, so I always know where everything is. And I have my systems for fast access as well e.g., most commonly used programs on my task bar, next commonly used pros on my Start list, all programs cascading by subject on Start>Programs, Listary icon in my system tray (also accessible by r-click on Desktop), and search app Everything. You can put anything you commonly use in your Listary list: files, folders, programs, images, etc. You may be surprised to know that many people find Libraries unnecessary because they store everything by common-sense-to-them folders. I work in graphics and photoediting, and could not amagine putting all my images in one place!!! They are in their various project folders, assorted by topic, with as many sub-topics (sub-folders) as necessary. As I said, I always know where everything is, but if I want to get to something deep in the structure quickly, I use Everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Is this by any chance the Explorer button which opens into libraries?
          If it is, you can change the default folder: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-target.html
          (Note that took about 10 seconds on to find)

If you are talking about something else, please (as requested) post screen shots.

And if you really do not use libraries, please do try them -- you may be pleasantly surprised
          No. The Explorer icon opens Explorer and the Libraries icon opens Libraries........

Screenshot attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ah - a picture is worth a thousand words*

That is a separate toolbar (the vertical dotted bar beside it is the clue)
            You should be able to right click on the task bar, go to toolbars and look for one to turn off

*Not applicable where you have a 2,000 word essay to submit
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              go to toolbars and look for one to turn off
              Already tried all the conventional methods......... Not listed as toolbar. See attachment.

Janet
              Attached Files

Comment

Given that all my Libraries are totally empty i.e., no files in them, I would say that I don't use my Libraries........

The only use for Libraries is if you don't know where you put things, it helps you to locate them. I have a very detailed filing system set up according to my own head, so I always know where everything is. And I have my systems for fast access as well e.g., most commonly used programs on my task bar, next commonly used pros on my Start list, all programs cascading by subject on Start>Programs, Listary icon in my system tray (also accessible by r-click on Desktop), and search app Everything. You can put anything you commonly use in your Listary list: files, folders, programs, images, etc. You may be surprised to know that many people find Libraries unnecessary because they store everything by common-sense-to-them folders. I work in graphics and photoediting, and could not amagine putting all my images in one place!!! They are in their various project folders, assorted by topic, with as many sub-topics (sub-folders) as necessary. As I said, I always know where everything is, but if I want to get to something deep in the structure quickly, I use Everything.
                Actually not true.

Libraries are there to help you organise your files in one location that you browse to.

Please see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...ures/libraries

No one is saying that you put them in one place but you tell the library where that place is and it will list the relevant pictures for you. It doesn't move them to the library but links to them in the centralised library.

As for your problem it does look like a toolbar. Have you tried removing all of your toolbars from the Taksbar?? I would start with the Desktop one.

***EDIT***

It probably is the Desktop one. If you right click on the dots you will see the option to Show Text and Show Title, this will be the reason that we can't see any text.
                Last edited by wullieb1; 9th April 2013, 00:05.

Comment

Libraries are awesome - I also use a 'custom' filing system on my home pc and simply add those locations to the Libraries - saves huge amounts of time.

That definitely looks like a toolbar.
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                  X