Search not finding everything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search not finding everything

I have users on HP Z400 computers with 8GB of ram and plenty of HDD etc..

Both are searching for the same file on a network drive but windows search is not finding it. The file is inside a folder by the same name.

Is there a good replacement for windows search. Something that will also index or search network drives?

Re: Search not finding everything

Originally posted by afb1302 View Post
    I have users on HP Z400 computers with 8GB of ram and plenty of HDD etc..

Both are searching for the same file on a network drive but windows search is not finding it. The file is inside a folder by the same name.

Is there a good replacement for windows search. Something that will also index or search network drives?
    Is the network drive your searching on a Server 2003 machine by any chance??

We have an issue where we can't index network drives that are located on our Server 2003 boxes. Fix was to install Windows Search on the server.

Comment

Yes it is server 2003. I'll try and get my sysadmin to install windows search and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by afb1302 View Post
        Yes it is server 2003. I'll try and get my sysadmin to install windows search and let you know how it goes.
        Try this first

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2268596

Comment

Apparently putting an asterisk before the search term will find the files on the network drives. Not sure where that came from but it seems to work for my user.

Comment

Actually try an asterisk before and after the search term.

Comment

That is "traditional" wildcards, as used since DOS days!

Win 7 (probably Vista) assumes this if you search for a piece of text
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X