Windows 7 client not joining domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 client not joining domain

Hi, we are upgrading our WinXP pcs to Win7 Pro.
    The domain we are using is 2000 Mixed.
    Once we join the pc to the domain using the correct admin credentials, instead of displaying the domain name, it displays Network.
    When I type in nslookup it returns DNS Server timed out.
    Default server unknown, but the IP address of the DNS server is displayed.
    If I try and ping to the server it cannot. However, if I ping to the client from the server, it is successful.
    I have run netdiag commands on the server and the DNS and DC results all pass.
    I have created a pc from scratch rather than using an image but had the same results.
    Can anybody please help, either with a suggestion or point me to a link on the site that may help.
    Thanks very much in advance.

Re: Windows 7 client not joining domain

Try and configure the computer with static IP address details including the default gateway and DNS server and see what happens.

Does this happen on a fresh install, I mean just windows and nothing else like no security software.

Are the rest of the computers in your network ok? What are the differences between the working machines and this new one?

Is everyting ok in device manager, bad drivers, bad network card, bad network cable, faulty switch,
    ect, ect.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

The working pcs are using WinXP. All pcs are using static network settings.
      We have found a temporary workaround by setting the static arp using the netsh command in Windows 7. This seems to allow the pc to hold on to its dns settings and remain on the domain. Its not ideal, but for now it will have to do until we find the true cause of the problem.

Comment

Can you try and eliminate the devices between you and the server which could be causing this, like connecting the win7 into a core switch which your servers are connected to and seeing if the same thing happens.

Also do you have a picture of
        Once we join the pc to the domain using the correct admin credentials, instead of displaying the domain name, it displays Network.
        and how about the ipconfig/all of the clients.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Discovered the problem.
          The 2 nics are set up as a team. Only one was plugged in. It seemed the devices were looking to the mac address of the disconnecte nic. Hence why the server could ping out to the clients, but the clients could not ping back until the server had pinged out.
          Need to investigate how the team is configured and rectify the issue but for now I have simply plugged the secind nic in and all is working.

Comment

Try to delete the user in active directory and create again. Then try to joint domain. It can work.

Comment

Working...
            X