Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install OEM drivers or not? what do you think

Guys

If you are in the same boat as me, you will have an imaging solution at work. Currently i use FOG-Project and have created some All-in-One driver images using driverpacks.

My question to you guys is. For laptops and i guess workstations. Is it recommended to install the OEM drivers from the manufacturer or is generic drivers ok? So far things seem to work with generic drivers that are for the devide, just not downloaded from the OEM's website.

I would ideally like to know if not you are not downloaded and installing the OEM drivers, could it impact performance because some OEM tweaks might not be there?

What is your experience?

Cheers

Re: Install OEM drivers or not? what do you think

We use MDT2010 to deploy our Win 7 images to users and download the relevant driver packs from Dell, we use all Dell equipment.

Comment

I would also go with the OEM drivers as the OOB Microsoft ones normally only offer limited functionality
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thank you guys!!

I usually do only download and install the drivers i see missing from the device manager after i do a clean install of Win7.

Sometimes i do not even install chipset drivers or intel unified management drivers etc. do you guys install everything from the OEM?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Rippie View Post
          thank you guys!!

I usually do only download and install the drivers i see missing from the device manager after i do a clean install of Win7.

Sometimes i do not even install chipset drivers or intel unified management drivers etc. do you guys install everything from the OEM?

Cheers
          Dell quite handily proved CAB files for importing into MDT. This generally includes all the required drivers that we need.

I have on occasion setup installs for the system to install drivers that require .exe installs.

Comment

Working...
          X