File sorting and the Taskbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File sorting and the Taskbar

Since MS will cease to support XP in April 2014 I have been obliged to install Win 7 in at least this main PC, so I have struggling with understanding all the nerdy MS changes from dear old XP. Mind you since I have friends who NEVER accept any XP updates, and never seem to come to any harm, one cannot help being sceptical of the dangers of running XP long after MS refuse to support it. After all presumably it is a full paid up antivirus that should be mainly responsible for protecting you, not MS continually tinkering with Windows.

The one thing I find most baffling and even amusing is the strange File Sorting. When you now opt for files in a folder by Type with Win 7, instead of logically just displaying the same files in a new order like XP, some silly nerd has arranged for umpteen others to show. Likewise if you opt for a sort by Date Modified, a vast list shows going back days, instead of the current files.

So to see a sensible current list we are obliged to only use sort by Folder; or is there some secret way of forcing Win 7 to ONLY show the same current files whatever sort is used?

Another strange problem is again unlike XP, this Win 7 refuses to allow me to add ( pin ) a link to a folder to the bottom taskbar. It claims it has pinned the link, but no such Icon displays.

Re: File sorting and the Taskbar

Can you post a screenshot to show what you mean -- when I change sort order, it always shows the same files (I am in details view but should apply to others).

Regarding the pinned shortcuts, I think you will find they appear under Explorer on the task bar -- just right click on it to see pinned locations
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again Ossaian

It seems I am getting confuded with Arrange and Sort regarding files

I have manged to create a Toolbar shown below as News Page, but no idea what to click to open the Folder link as no such shows on the taskbar.

http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/Toolbar.jpg

Comment

Try dragging a folder to the task bar, releasing the mouse and selecting "pin to explorer"
        Then right click the File Explorer icon on the main taskbar and you should see your pinned folder
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK thanks works now alright

Comment

Working...
          X