Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot wim file from usb device

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boot wim file from usb device

    ok I have several WIM images that I use on our Network with no problem. Boot PC to Ethernet and select my image and I'm on my way.

    But how can I (if possible) boot to a USB device and use a particular WIM??

    so basically copy a WIM to a USB device then load the WIM from a USB.

  • #2
    Re: Boot wim file from usb device

    Probably the easiest thing to do would be to download the Win 7 USB creator from here http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool (Microsoft Tool) and create a bootable USB key.

    Rename your current WIM file to install.wim then replace the install.wim file on the USB key, sorry can't remember exactly where it is at this time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Boot wim file from usb device

      That did it, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Boot wim file from usb device

        not so fast.

        Well using that tool and a Win 7 ISO, I was able to boot to USB without any issues but it doesn't load my WIM file it just loads Win 7 fresh, no image at all.

        do I have to place my WIM file in a different folder? I did rename it INSTALL.WIM

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Boot wim file from usb device

          copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86

          Then, copy winpe.wim to the correct folder:

          copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

          Now, copy WinPE to your USB drive:

          xcopy C:\winpe_x86\iso\*.* /e G:\

          In this example, ‘G:’ is the drive letter of your flash drive.


          Shamelessly lifted from here:

          http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-93ef2693ed9c/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Boot wim file from usb device

            Did you copy your renamed WIM file to the relevant folder on the USB key??

            I don't have access to anything at the moment to test but it should work.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Boot wim file from usb device

              Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Did you copy your renamed WIM file to the relevant folder on the USB key??

              I don't have access to anything at the moment to test but it should work.

              I renamed my WIM file as INSTALL.WIM, but what is the relavent folder?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                Originally posted by ConradJ View Post
                copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86

                Then, copy winpe.wim to the correct folder:

                copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

                Now, copy WinPE to your USB drive:

                xcopy C:\winpe_x86\iso\*.* /e G:\

                In this example, G: is the drive letter of your flash drive.


                Shamelessly lifted from here:

                http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-93ef2693ed9c/

                this will let me boot but how can I use my wim file?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                  Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                  I renamed my WIM file as INSTALL.WIM, but what is the relavent folder?
                  Search the USB key for it.

                  From the ISO it is in the Sources folder.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                    Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    Did you copy your renamed WIM file to the relevant folder on the USB key??

                    I don't have access to anything at the moment to test but it should work.

                    ok I placed my WIM file (install.wim) in the source folder but still doesn't work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                      Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                      ok I placed my WIM file (install.wim) in the source folder but still doesn't work.
                      I'll make up a USB key later and try to get the install working on a spare machine.

                      Can you please explain exactly what doesn't work.

                      Does the install happen and complete??

                      Does the system boot properly with the install.wim file??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                        Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                        I'll make up a USB key later and try to get the install working on a spare machine.

                        Can you please explain exactly what doesn't work.

                        Does the install happen and complete??

                        Does the system boot properly with the install.wim file??

                        I followed the instructions that were posted by ConradJ, then I re-named my WIM file to install.wim and placed that file into the source folder. I boot up and boot to USB and I get this error:

                        Status; Oxc000000f
                        Info: The boot selection failed because fo a required device is inaccessible.

                        tried it on 3 different laptops, with 3 different USB devices, note: all USB devices are brand new and formated as NTFS, 16GB.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                          Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                          I followed the instructions that were posted by ConradJ, then I re-named my WIM file to install.wim and placed that file into the source folder. I boot up and boot to USB and I get this error:

                          Status; Oxc000000f
                          Info: The boot selection failed because fo a required device is inaccessible.

                          tried it on 3 different laptops, with 3 different USB devices, note: all USB devices are brand new and formated as NTFS, 16GB.
                          Lets go right back to the start to make sure things actually work.

                          http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

                          Get a good working USB key by using either the guide above or by downloading the Windows 7 USB Tool.

                          Do this then test on one of your test systems and see if you can install windows 7 successfully.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                            Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            Lets go right back to the start to make sure things actually work.

                            http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

                            Get a good working USB key by using either the guide above or by downloading the Windows 7 USB Tool.

                            Do this then test on one of your test systems and see if you can install windows 7 successfully.

                            this test works, but I need to load my WIM file not a fresh Windows 7 install, that does me no good.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Boot wim file from usb device

                              So a "factory fresh" WIM file works, but your captured custom one doesn't.

                              That strongly suggests an error with the capture and you will need to re-capture it
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X