Boot wim file from usb device

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot wim file from usb device

ok I have several WIM images that I use on our Network with no problem. Boot PC to Ethernet and select my image and I'm on my way.

But how can I (if possible) boot to a USB device and use a particular WIM??

so basically copy a WIM to a USB device then load the WIM from a USB.

Re: Boot wim file from usb device

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to download the Win 7 USB creator from here http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool (Microsoft Tool) and create a bootable USB key.

Rename your current WIM file to install.wim then replace the install.wim file on the USB key, sorry can't remember exactly where it is at this time.

Comment

That did it, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

not so fast.

Well using that tool and a Win 7 ISO, I was able to boot to USB without any issues but it doesn't load my WIM file it just loads Win 7 fresh, no image at all.

do I have to place my WIM file in a different folder? I did rename it INSTALL.WIM

Comment

copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86

Then, copy winpe.wim to the correct folder:

copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

Now, copy WinPE to your USB drive:

xcopy C:\winpe_x86\iso\*.* /e G:\

In this example, ‘G:’ is the drive letter of your flash drive.

Shamelessly lifted from here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-93ef2693ed9c/

Comment

Did you copy your renamed WIM file to the relevant folder on the USB key??

I don't have access to anything at the moment to test but it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

I renamed my WIM file as INSTALL.WIM, but what is the relavent folder?

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJ View Post
                copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86

Then, copy winpe.wim to the correct folder:

copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

Now, copy WinPE to your USB drive:

xcopy C:\winpe_x86\iso\*.* /e G:\

In this example, G: is the drive letter of your flash drive.

Shamelessly lifted from here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-93ef2693ed9c/

this will let me boot but how can I use my wim file?

Comment

Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                  I renamed my WIM file as INSTALL.WIM, but what is the relavent folder?
                  Search the USB key for it.

From the ISO it is in the Sources folder.

Comment

ok I placed my WIM file (install.wim) in the source folder but still doesn't work.

Comment

ok I placed my WIM file (install.wim) in the source folder but still doesn't work.
                      I'll make up a USB key later and try to get the install working on a spare machine.

Can you please explain exactly what doesn't work.

Does the install happen and complete??

Does the system boot properly with the install.wim file??

Comment

I'll make up a USB key later and try to get the install working on a spare machine.

Can you please explain exactly what doesn't work.

Does the install happen and complete??

Does the system boot properly with the install.wim file??

I followed the instructions that were posted by ConradJ, then I re-named my WIM file to install.wim and placed that file into the source folder. I boot up and boot to USB and I get this error:

Status; Oxc000000f
                        Info: The boot selection failed because fo a required device is inaccessible.

tried it on 3 different laptops, with 3 different USB devices, note: all USB devices are brand new and formated as NTFS, 16GB.

Comment

I followed the instructions that were posted by ConradJ, then I re-named my WIM file to install.wim and placed that file into the source folder. I boot up and boot to USB and I get this error:

Status; Oxc000000f
                          Info: The boot selection failed because fo a required device is inaccessible.

tried it on 3 different laptops, with 3 different USB devices, note: all USB devices are brand new and formated as NTFS, 16GB.
                          Lets go right back to the start to make sure things actually work.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

Get a good working USB key by using either the guide above or by downloading the Windows 7 USB Tool.

Do this then test on one of your test systems and see if you can install windows 7 successfully.

Comment

Lets go right back to the start to make sure things actually work.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

Get a good working USB key by using either the guide above or by downloading the Windows 7 USB Tool.

Do this then test on one of your test systems and see if you can install windows 7 successfully.

this test works, but I need to load my WIM file not a fresh Windows 7 install, that does me no good.

Comment

So a "factory fresh" WIM file works, but your captured custom one doesn't.

That strongly suggests an error with the capture and you will need to re-capture it
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X