Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beeps During Normal Operation

Hi,

I'm getting a weird issue ... every so often my work laptop beeps at me. Usually it's 3 beeps (actually more like those beepy thud sounding noises you sometimes ge when you try to access the window under a dialog box that obscures it), each about a half-second apart I guess, and it happens maybe once every 5 minutes. Ocassionally 4 or more beeps but they seem to be faster (less time in between) ... I just had one that was about 7 beeps.

Looking around there seems to be some hint that it's memory related (something to do with a memory error in the first 64K). There are no errors that I can see in the normal Windows event logs. Someone else said he solved his problem by rolling back the configuration ... I suppose that's my next step though I'm a bit wary of it as I figure I could screw my build which is a company one. Obviously I could also rebuild from scratch but that's a pain.

Like anyone in IT I have my own setup ... the laptop (a Lenovo T510) has a docking station, MS wireless keyboard and a second screen running off the displayport (so I run typically with 2 screens). The error doesn't stop me working but is irritating.

Any ideas?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Beeps During Normal Operation

This where you looked?
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/deta...cID=MIGR-74394
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      No ... I'm not talking about POST by the way, I'm talking about during normal desktop operation, the system boots fine.

I've disabled Windows Beep (went into device manager, show hidden devices, non-plug & play drivers, beep, properties, driver and set startup to disbaled) and, following reboot, I can confirm that Windows beep service is not running but I still get the problem i.e. it's not that sort of beep.

Keke
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 31st January 2013, 14:43.

Comment

Go to
        Code:
        Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Use text or visual alternatives for sounds
        Enable the first check box, might give you some clue next time it happens.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          Go to ... enable the first check box, might give you some clue next time it happens.
          Thanks ... interestingly the beeps have stopped. I don't know why that is.

When I had the problem I rebooted several times with no effect but following an overnight complete switch off it now seems OK ... as obvious as it seems with hindsight, I didn't try that.

Thanks for the help.

Keke

Comment

Working...
          X