Search is very slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search is very slow

I have a user who's search in Win 7 is very slow. Not the search from the start bar but the search from the explorer menu in the top right. The user next to him is searching for the same thing and the results are instant however this users search takes up to 10 minutes to complete.

They are both searching on a network drive.

I've tried running microsofts FixIt which found no problems but reset Windows Search anway. I tried rebuilding his index although I didn't think it would work. After those two things the search speed increased but it is still very slow.

I've searched all over the net for an answer but can't find one. Does anyone know this one?

Re: Search is very slow

If you log on with a local user is it the same?
    How about that user on the "working" users machine?
    Any mapped drives, different hardware, fragmentation?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I had no local account that would have access to the mapped drive. So I had both users switch computers and try from their own accounts.

Same thing. The one computer was still very slow while the other computer was very fast.

The hardware is the same:
      HP Z400
      Quad core 2.67Ghz
      8GB of ram in both
      Windows 7 64-bit
      Disk is not fragmented.

Comment

Somebody posted that the HDD sizes must be different although I don't see the post here.

Identical computers. HPZ400.

Comment

I realise you've been through the settings but I can't think of anything else to suggest myself I'm afraid.
          http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...rformance/4064
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

dern. I was really hoping somebody could come up with an answer for this one. Thanks for trying though. I'll post back if I ever find a solution. The only option is to make the network folder available offline but I'm dealing with NC Progammers and the file sizes are way to large for that.

Comment

Working...
            X