Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer issues

Good Morning,

Strange things happening on my PC. If I open a Windows Explorer window I do not see my drives or network drives. I see only "Libraries" (See attachment).

Does not happen all the time, maybe 3 out of 5 times. When the drives do appear, if I right click on a folder I get a spinny wheel and nothing happens. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL the explorer.exe and start a new session to get the system responding again.

During the spinny wheel, if I open Word or Excel and go FILE > OPEN I can see all of the drives and network drives there no problem. It only seems to be the Windows Explorer window itself.

I have run SFC multiple times, Malwarebytes and Comodo System Utilities. If explorer comes up correctly, it works fine in all respects.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

S
    Attached Files

Re: Explorer issues

Do a system restore to when it worked.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
      Do a system restore to when it worked.
      Should have mentioned. I did. No change.

Comment

is this a domain computer ?
        is there anything in the logs ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, Work PC on a Domain. W7 SP1 - 64 bit 6GB RAM. I am running on an account with domain admin and local machine admin privileges. I built this machine three months ago with fresh Win7 install. No other issues or problems with it.

No errors of consequence I can find in Errorlog.

When I open a Windows Explorer window it looks like the attachment. Shows 14 items on the bottom so it is "seeing" the network and HDD, just not displaying them in the window.

The gray bar slides across through the address line and I get a spinny wheel but it never updates.
          Attached Files

Comment

Does it work when you log in after a clean boot? I'm wondering if there is something which may be interfering with it rather than there being a problem with Explorer itself.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
              Does it work when you log in after a clean boot? I'm wondering if there is something which may be interfering with it rather than there being a problem with Explorer itself.
              Did a complete shutdown and reboot. Opened the Windows Explorer window first. Looks just like the attachment.

Comment

That is not a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Had similar problem with friend computer, but he reinstalled windows and the installer have created new windows folder and saved old one in windows.0. However some librares had links to windows.0 and as result a lot of freezes in explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by shadragon View Post
                    I am running on an account with domain admin and local machine admin privileges.
                    Bad idea to use a user that is a member of the domain admins group as your main account. You should have one for you daily use and another for computer administration tasks only.

Does the issue happen for all users on the local PC or just yours? Have you tried recreating your user profile?
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

@JeremyW - This is not my main account. I logged in as domain admin and a local admin account to show there were no permissions or GPO issues involved. Apologies for the confusion.

I solved it. First thing this morning I tried to open Control Panel and it refused to open throwing an error box with obvious reg key references. After a series of RegEdit and Google searches I discovered the errors were related to .NET. Went into my services and found these two were disabled.

- Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64
                      - Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86

Even though I have V4.0 of .NET installed having those two older services disabled gave me all sorts of issues. I have no idea what turned them off, but I set them to manual then rebooted and all issues disappeared. Explorer and Control Panel are both working fine now.

<sarcasm>Thank you Microsoft.</sarcasm>

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                        X