No announcement yet.

Configuring Win 7 to work on a 2003 domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Win 7 to work on a 2003 domain

Hi, I have a 2003 domain and I have just installed my first Win 7 64-bit machine and joined it to the domain. On this machine, I have installed RSAT to control Group Policy and have copied the template files to a new folder on the domain controller and don't appear to have any problems with Group Policy. Everything works fine when I am logged in as a domain administrator, however when I log in as any domain user, I am getting problems. I have even added one domain user as a local administrator and this isn't working. Basically what is happening is when the user logs in, a message appears saying "your roaming profile was not completely synchronized due to a slow connection" and that I am being logged in locally (works ok with Win XP). Once logged in, I am not able to change any files on the C drive without saving it else where and then copying back in as an administrator. Please can someone provide me with some assistance with this. Many thanks.

Re: Configuring Win 7 to work on a 2003 domain

The clients should use SMB 1.0 to connect to a Windows 2003 server (same when it would connect to a Win 2000/XP machine).

Additional reading: Preparing for migration of roaming profiles with computers that run Windows Vista and Windows 7

Note: To re-enable SMB2 at a future date,
    start again an Elevated Command Prompt
    enter the following two commands to enable SMB 2 again:
    sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc config mrxsmb20 start= auto

(after each equals sign there should be a space)

Last edited by Rems; 21st November 2012, 21:58.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts