How Do I Get Permission To Delete Folders In Programs & Programs 86x

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Get Permission To Delete Folders In Programs & Programs 86x

As the title states I wanna clean up my programs & programs 86x folders from stuff I dont use anymore like DVD Maker programs etc & when I go to delete them, I get the " You Need Administrator Permission " message.

When I go to give myself permission, it says I need permission to do that lol, I mean it really is a joke. Making me start looking for alternatives to windows.

Basically I literally searched for 5 hours all over the internet to figure this out with no luck of finding anything. I think I need to have special permissions granted to myself in order to delete these folders (not sure this is it, just shooting out there from what I think it is) but when I go to grant myself that, the box to do so is greyed out & I cant click on it.

Im pretty good with understanding computers, not a pro by any means though, I would really appreciate it, if anyone can help me with this giving me step by step. If theres a way to turn off having & needing permissions completely on my pc, I would really love to know that but just trying to clean my pc up of all the stuff I dont need anymore.

Thanx in advance really, appreciate any help. Have a good one.

-Bobby

Re: Please HELP!!! How Do I Get Permission To Delete Folders In Programs & Programs 8

You should use "Programs and Features" in the control panel to remove software. Deleting it directly from those folders is a bad idea.

Are you an administrator on that machine?

The issue you are likely facing is that you aren't the owner of those folders. If you want to over-ride the security on a folder you can take ownership. Bit of an example below.
    http://www.pctips3000.com/how-to-tak...-in-windows-7/
    Please remember though that these permissions are there on purpose.

If you're short on space try using the cleanup tools too. You can save some space if, for example, you installed SP1 rather than installed the OS with it.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: How Do I Get Permission To Delete Folders In Programs & Programs 86x

Thread title changed: the shouting and triple exclamation mark was not necessary.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

try this link. I have never used it before but why would I delete those folders??

http://001easytricks.blogspot.co.uk/...windows-7.html

Comment

If you start changing permissions in these folders you run the risk of breaking your programs or other programs that may rely on them. Do as AndyJG247 suggests and use Programs and Features.

If you wish to enable this for future program installations, install your programs in a custom folder, not in Program Files. Using a custom folder you have created will allow you to do what you want.

Even so, you are likely to still have remnants surviving in Program Data...
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X