Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen/hyperlink issue

Hi

I have a problem with hyperlinks not being clickable when they are located in the central region of the screen.

If I open my browser or email client and open a page or email containg hyperlinks I have found that when those hyperlinks are located in the central region of the screen they are treated as text. If I scroll the page up/down or move the program window so the hyperlinks are located nearer the edge of the screen, they work.

This only happens with hyperlinks. Other controls are fine - right-click menus appear fine, and buttons and menus work as they should.

I have checked the event logs and there are no errors reported by the programs.

By 'central region' I mean that if you draw a box where the edges of the box are located halfway between the centre and edge of the screen, hyperlinks within the box are not clickable.

Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Screen/hyperlink issue

A clue what
    OS (presumably Win7)?
    Browser?
    Hardware?
    is involved please

Is this touch screen or a tablet or anything like that?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry.

Os is Win 7 32 bit using I.E.9. The mail client is Postbox. Working on a desktop PC.

GeForce 480 GPU
      Case : X8i-C2Q Case (Antec P182B)
      Mainboard : ASUS® P5K Pro Mainboard
      CPU : Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9450 (4x 2.67GHz - 2x 6MB Cache) 1333MHz FSB
      Memory : 4GB OCZ “Reaper” DDR-2 1066MHz (PC8500) (2x 2GB)
      Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster 226BW TFT Display

The real problem is that it is intermittent. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Comment

For just the centre of the screen to not work makes me think of an application interfering somewhere. Have you tried killing services/other applications to see if it makes a difference? Never even heard of something like this to be fair!
        If you move the windows around do the non-working links work when they are at the edge of the screen?
        Update video drivers/video driver control panel stuff maybe.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks, Andy.

It certainly is a strange one.

I first noticed it a couple of months ago but it only happened once. I had been having disk errors and had to move the SATA cable to another SATA port on the motherboard which fixed it.

This time there are no disk errors. When I saw it happen again I upgraded my GPU driver and so far it has not come back. I'm hoping this may help but don't really understand why a driver update would resolve it (if it did).

And, yes, moving a window so that the links are located outside the affected area allowed them to become clickable again.

Last night, I also expreienced sound issues with the volume intermittently rising while playing a game (Borderlands).

I wonder if the motherboard might be going wonky?

Comment

The sound issues were due to an unfortunate coincidence with my speakers dying

The hyperlink issue still intermittently occurs after the GPU driver update.

It is really strange. It is as if there is a hidden window over the centre of the screen.

When I click inside this window focus is taken away from Internet Explorer or my email program. If part of a link falls within the area (say the left side) I can move my mouse over the left part of the link and it becomes underlined, showing it is clickable. When I move the mouse pointer to the right along the link and enter the 'invisible' window, the underlining turns off.

I've done an AV scan of the system areas so don't think the PC is infected with anything. I'm going to be switching over to another AV this week so I'll try that one too.

I'll post back when I sort this out

Comment

You can try one of the online ones to see if that works.
              Also things like spybot could help.
              It does sound like something is running that shouldn't be. Most odd mate!
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Does it only happens when your internet browser or mail client program is on the forefront/focus. And does the problem not exist when an other window, i.e. some MSWord document with hyperlinks in it, is opened in front of the browser/mail window?

No idea really but what you could try is, (a collection of different little things)

| Windows 7 - only:
                | Open: Performance Information and Tools
                | on the left click: Advanced Tools
                | click: Adjust the Appearance and Performance of Windows
                | From the Visual Effects Tab select: Adjust for best Performance setting
                | (Keep this setting for a couple of days before change it back to the default setting)

Next...
                start internet explorer, open Options
                make internet explorer the default internet browser.
                on the Security tab: reset each zone to the default security level.
                on the Advanced tab: reset internet explorer settings with deletion of personal settings.

exit internet explorer
                close all other browser instances and mail client instances

re-register the script engines,
                regsvr32 vbscript.dll
                regsvr32 jscript.dll

then..
                Remove these two items from registry,
                * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\window_placement
                * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\oldWorkAreas\OldWorkAreaRects
                Before opening IE again, first Re-boot the computer

any noticeable difference after the reboot?

Else...,
                try also internet explorer started w/out addons: iexplore -extoff
                or...
                Change also to other mouse pointers, to see if it has any influence.
                or...
                Try with an other user account on this computer to see if he's experiencing the same issues.
                or...
                Try a Windows clean boot for troubleshooting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

/Rems
                Last edited by Rems; 25th October 2012, 14:38.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks a lot for that. The issue has not occurred again since I posted but I'll be straight back to your post when it does.

Comment

It happened again last night. I fired up Sysinternals' Process Explorer and used the feature that allows you to identify a process by dragging the relevant control over the hidden window.

It identified Nvidia system Monitor - nvmonitor.exe.

I use this to display the GPU fan speed and temperature and it starts automatically.

As soon as I closed to program the hidden window disappeared.

I had updated my graphics driver but I have not updated this utility. I wonder if it is simply that it is not 100% compatible with the driver I am using. I'll check for an update today.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X