Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 PC's can't ping each other

Hello,
    I've 2 computers in my network with Windows 7 Ultimate. All of a sudden they cannot ping each other. I had to reboot one of the machine to make it work Well on other hand they can ping other pc's in different vlan.

They are under same domain. They are in same subnet ( vlan). They are connected to different WAP ( but same model, Cisco aironet 1300). They are using same wireless WEP key.

Any help and suggestions.

Thanks

Re: 2 PC's can't ping each other

Can they see the internet?
    Is the firewall blocking ping traffic?
    Post an IPCONFIG/ALL from both machines, plus from one they are able to ping
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      a. Yes, they can browse the internet
      b. Firewall is turned off.

Please find the attached.
      Defective PC 1
      Defective PC 2
      PC from other VLAN

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

There is nothing obviously wrong with the two "defective PC" configs except they use an external DNS server (not on the local subnet) -- do you have a DNS server on the 10.1.1.x network, or can the router (10.1.1.1) act as a DNS server?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
          We do have internal DNS server. I don't know what't the issue.

Any other suggestions.

Samir

Comment

Try setting the 10.1.1.x DNS server as the primary on both the machines and seeing if they ping
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

It's not clear with me. What is the relation of adding DSN Servers and ping. I 've already DNS servers configured on the interfaces.

Samir
              Last edited by samir381988; 22nd September 2012, 13:49.

Comment

Ping needs to locate the other computer. This requires DNS (or WINS) to resolve the name to an IP. Your DNS servers are outside the default gateway. Try using a more local DNS server and see what happens
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I am trying to ping the pc's by ip not by name. I have already local dns configured on my interfaces.

Samir.

Comment

Are there firewalls in the network??

Disable each and every firewall that you have then retry. Once tested then please add each firewall in until you find the one with the issue.

I presume that the PC's that are unable to ping each other are the defective ones??

Have you tried updating your Wireless card drivers??

Why are you using WEP??

When the systems fail to respond to ping can they ping locally?? i.e. ping localhost works??

Can they ping the gateway??

Comment

I dont have any firewall.
                      The PC's are new.
                      I'll update the card drivers.
                      They can ping any other pc in any vlan, but cannot ping to pc's in same vlan.

Important Note:
                      I've discovered an strange thing.
                      When I kept continous pinging both pc's to each other I dont face any issues.
                      Why is it so ?

Samir.

Comment

???

If it pings it pings regardless of whether it is a continuos ping or not.

Can you please post the output of the pings not working when you ping or have a continuos ping running.

Comment

I kept on continous ping from the last 24 hrs I have faced no issues. Once I stop the ping, then after couple minutes when i try to make rdp connection or access any shared folder I cannot.

Samir

Comment

Are you on the same subnet as the affected PC's when trying to access??

Still waiting on the results of you ping and continuos ping.

Comment

Originally posted by samir381988 View Post
                              Once I stop the ping, then after couple minutes when i try to make rdp connection or access any shared folder I cannot.

Samir
                              Do you mean that ping works just after booting the machine, or when where you able to ping?? After a short wile it does no longer succeed to do another ping - except when you had started a continous ping from the beginning and kept that running?

Firstly, make sure SP1 for Windows 7 is installed on all the clients.
                              Next,, install the latest drivers for the network adapter.

Can you still ping the local host on both machines when you cannot ping the other computer?
                              ping localhost -4 and ping localhost -6
                              Is (or was...) there perhaps any security software from symantec or from Checkpoint, or others, active on any of the clients?

/Rems
                              Last edited by Rems; 24th September 2012, 20:20.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                              X