No announcement yet.

Windows 7 permissions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 permissions

A couple of times I encountered a problem when I need to access some system files on a Windows 7 client and it just refuses me the permission. I noticed that the domain admin doesn't actually have any permissions on folders in the route of C: and when I'm trying to change that I need to firs take the ownership from whoever TrustedInstaller is and then grant myself full access. Even that doesn't always work properly as I'm getting Access Denied while changing the permissions. Never had this sort of problems with XP. What's the cure?

Re: Windows 7 permissions

Moved to Windows 7 forum as it has nothing to do with Exchange
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

there were changes with the permissions models in windows 7.
      It's not unusual to see that even DA doesn't automatically have write-access to system-based files. I'm thinking specifically of the Hosts file here.

It's a deliberate move to make it harder for things to occur
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Do you have UAC running??

I turned it off on my machine and have local admin rights and can do whatever i please.

I wouldn't recommned this though.

It may be the case that it was running. I'll have to verify at the next opportunity. I usually disable UAC as it causes me a lot of trouble when it comes to remote administration which I do most of the time.